DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017
 

fnord
Ice Cream Celebration

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1350

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Ice Cream Celebration Reply with quote

I'm going to get ice cream from Baskin Robbins sometime after 8:30 tonight. Come with me to celebrate my new major, 21H.

Whee!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 462

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there yesterday.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there before that place even had a Baskin Robbins.

Also, what did your parents say?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming time is closed on the past end, take some time x when you got there, I got there at a time y where y < x on the time-line.

Also, 21H is a bold move... but I applaud it.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
estick is Eraser-mad.
Very Jewish


Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 194

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
I was there yesterday.


jaster wrote:
Assuming time is closed on the past end, take some time x when you got there, I got there at a time y where y < x on the time-line.


Given that I had already said that I was there long before yesterday, your second statement contradicts your first.

01

By the way, where are we going since the Baskin Robbins people were apparently rude to Kallie on the phone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Given that I had already said that I was there long before yesterday, your second statement contradicts your first.


...perhaps if I had said something like 'The first time I was there was yesterday'

That is to say that "I was there last Monday" and "I was there last Wednesday" are consistent statements.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
lizakova wrote:
Given that I had already said that I was there long before yesterday, your second statement contradicts your first.


...perhaps if I had said something like 'The first time I was there was yesterday'

That is to say that "I was there last Monday" and "I was there last Wednesday" are consistent statements.


Your argument makes no sense from a linguistics standpoint since given the context of the discussion, you should have stated the earliest time you were there to prove yourself to be ahead of everyone else. So basically you're just spouting nonsense.

Really more of a boxturtle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linguistics is a kind of pasta, as far as I know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Linguistics is a kind of pasta, as far as I know.


And not a very good one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Your argument makes no sense from a linguistics standpoint since given the context of the discussion, you should have stated the earliest time you were there to prove yourself to be ahead of everyone else. So basically you're just spouting nonsense.


No friend, you are "just spouting nonsense". Your evocation of the "linguistics standpoint" is just nonsense. In the context of the discussion, it was only incumbent upon me (in my first post) to cite some earlier time as a time when I was there. Granted, had I said 'I'll be there tomorrow' or 'I'll be there after you', my statement would have made little sense in the given context.

If you're trying to say my assertion had some implied clause about being the first and only time I was there... I'd really have to say the following:

Really more of a boxturtle.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media