DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017
 

fnord
jane austin + zombies
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
I agree. They could just be entertaining and well written, like Pride and Prejudice. But The Great Gatsby isn't either of those.


Maybe you just hate America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:
I agree. They could just be entertaining and well written, like Pride and Prejudice. But The Great Gatsby isn't either of those.


Maybe you just hate America.


I think that she's already hating about as hard as she can.

Also, Heart of Darkness is awesome... had a highschool class where the reading list was that, 1984, Brave New World, Bladerunner and Dune... best English class I ever had.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that it's awesome (I would consider that term to mean good + I liked it). I didn't like it at all. I understand that it's good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1351

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really like it either, but it had a certain horrifying appeal. And I got to write an essay criticizing the view that the book should be stricken from the list of classics because of "inherent racism."

Also, everyone knows that Americans can't write for crap.

Also also, that is a great reading list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Also, everyone knows that Americans can't write for crap.


Faulkner? Hello?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epb
Mendicant


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 451

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:
Also, everyone knows that Americans can't write for crap.


Faulkner? Hello?


And Phillip Roth. And my sister :)

Also, I misspelled the original 'Gatsby' thing I was talking about. It's actually 'Gadspy'. I really have few problems with these different 'versions' of classic or popular books. On some level, I have bigger problems with movie versions of books that I think are awesome. Maybe because you can't unsee them and the imagery can replace whatever was in your mind from reading the book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1637

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
And that illustrated hipster bible?


I bet there are zombies in it already.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1637

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to take away from this is, despite what the internet has to say, zombies really aren't that cool. Trend + existing story =/= genius.

That one text excerpt has me convinced that book just isn't very good.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1351

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
The most important thing to take away from this is, despite what the internet has to say, zombies really aren't that cool. Trend + existing story =/= genius.

That one text excerpt has me convinced that book just isn't very good.


It doesn't sound like the original prose at all... which is a big reason to read the real book in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1351

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:
Also, everyone knows that Americans can't write for crap.


Faulkner? Hello?


And Phillip Roth. And my sister :)


Look, I'm going to have to refer you to the most respected librarian I know:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer wrote:
Giles: Oh, Emily Dickinson.
Buffy: We're both fans.
Giles: Yes, she's quite a good poet. I mean for a...
Buffy: [defensively] A girl?
Giles: For an American.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just terrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Just terrible.


agree 2/10
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1637

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
mchicken wrote:
Just terrible.


agree 2/10


That's generous.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
afarrell
Mendicant


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Location: 153

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
The Red Badge of Courage ...fuck those things.

no
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media