0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I hate DOOMCom
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Chinese Students Reply with quote

So as I'm walking past Lobby 10 today, a group of Chinese students come up to me, entice me with Chinese pastries, and offer to write my name in Chinese. Here is what they gave me:

I have no idea what this says, but I seriously doubt it's my name.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one of those is probably the character for "Mother".
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing disagrees that it's your name, but I feel like it might be a subjective process.

http://www.mandarintools.com/chinesename.html
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mandarintools.com/cgi-bin/charlook.pl?searchmode=standard&printtype=utf8&chartype=all&ordering=frequency&display=char&display=radstroke&display=strokes&display=pinyin&display=english&display=variants&display=unicode&english=&pinyin=&cantonese=&enctype=utf8&whatchar=%E8%8E%8E%E8%8E%89&searchchar=Search+by+Character&lowerb=&upperb=

It also matters if they were speaking Mandarin or Cantonese
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankr wrote:
http://www.mandarintools.com/cgi-bin/charlook.pl?searchmode=standard&printtype=utf8&chartype=all&ordering=frequency&display=char&display=radstroke&display=strokes&display=pinyin&display=english&display=variants&display=unicode&english=&pinyin=&cantonese=&enctype=utf8&whatchar=%E8%8E%8E%E8%8E%89&searchchar=Search+by+Character&lowerb=&upperb=

It also matters if they were speaking Mandarin or Cantonese

I don't think that second one matches any of the characters they wrote.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:

The second one he linked is the second one they wrote (look again), and apparently is the sound "li."

This is the third one, and is "za."

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E8%A3%B4

Apparently it means "look of a flowing gown" (maybe).

No one knows what that first thing is, or why they wrote it. (if you look, it's the first syllable in the translation of Shakespeare's name, for instance).

And as I said yesterday, they just try and translate each syllable as closely as possible, but there's either 2 syllables in your name or a lot more than 3, depending on whether you used your full name or not. So how they got three I have no idea.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

The second one he linked is the second one they wrote (look again), and apparently is the sound "li."

This is the third one, and is "za."

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E8%A3%B4

Apparently it means "look of a flowing gown" (maybe).

No one knows what that first thing is, or why they wrote it. (if you look, it's the first syllable in the translation of Shakespeare's name, for instance).

And as I said yesterday, they just try and translate each syllable as closely as possible, but there's either 2 syllables in your name or a lot more than 3, depending on whether you used your full name or not. So how they got three I have no idea.

So they told me to write my first and last name on a piece of paper, and I wrote "Liza Plotnikov". So what you're saying is, they got the "Liza" part down and then added some (possibly) made up symbol that was supposed to approximate my last name? I was thinking of asking them how the 5 total syllables in my name got condensed down to 3 characters, but I decided it was best not to rock the boat. As far as I could tell, they wrote down 3 characters for everyone who went to have their name written.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Chinese names are typically three characters. One for the family name, two for the given name, with one character being a generation name, where everybody in the same generation has that same character. For example, you'd have two brothers, and one would be Liu Qinghong and the other would be Liu Qingming or whatever, though it's becoming slightly more common not to have a generation name at all (i.e. Yao Ming). Western -> Chinese names is always a tossup. For example, Harry Harding's Chinese name is He Hanli or Clark T. Randt's Chinese name is Lei De.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: