fnord
Hank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
The whole point is that they really are/always did change the future by coming back.

The problem with Terminator has always been that they don't keep this idea in mind. Roughly speaking, this idea does a lot to unsure consistency in a time travel story... a consistency Terminator never had.

In the movies, this lack of consistency was TOO bad... but with the multiple timelines thing... the story is either seriously inconsistent, or the idea of sending people 'back in time' to accomplish tasks is really pointless. They've set up the story such that one or the other is the case... they can chose to have the story be consistent, or for the actions of the characters to have a point... but I don't think that they can recover both.

That being said... I'm liking the show.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very latest episode was fantastic.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
The very latest episode was fantastic.

Very much agree... next week/finale is gonna be intense
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hope they end this madness after 3 seasons or something, or have a clear plan established before they started that they stick to.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Cameron stripping and asking John to get on top of her?

Edit: Holy god what the hell just happened? Was a shark jumped? What the fuck?
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Why is Cameron stripping and asking John to get on top of her?

Edit: Holy god what the hell just happened? Was a shark jumped? What the fuck?

Yeah, I saw the end of that episode when I tuned in for Dollhouse. I don't really even know the story and I can tell there was sharkjumping. They need to keep that time-travel in their pants.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Whoa Whoa, I just downloaded this beast... everybody calm down.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this move is a positive.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've watched it and I am very much intrigued.

****POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT****

I really don't think that there was any shark jumping, though there are a lot of questions (which is the nature of the show).

The only thing I'm really not following (and I'm gonna watch the series again to see if I can catch it) is this: what's the deal with that hispanic woman? I didn't get her when she showed up in season one and I don't get her now. WTF is with that bitch?

The other thing, though I'm sure they'll 'explain' it next season, is how this 'young John in the future' thing is going to work. Unless they invoke the ALTERNATE TIMELINES (dear God no), I'm having a tough time seeing how this plot twist could make sense (though if they can swing it... I think it was a pretty cool move).

Also, Reese boys... oh man

By the by I'm reading the prequel novel to Terminator 4 as written by our good friend Timothy Zahn.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how do they somehow make John Conner the hero of the future that we know he is based on that intro...because I thought he was sort of always there working with them and that everyone knew his name.

Also I have no idea who that woman is, maybe Hank will know.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Yeah, how do they somehow make John Conner the hero of the future that we know he is based on that intro...because I thought he was sort of always there working with them and that everyone knew his name.

I'm gonna have to assume that John is going to travel back to 2009 midway through the season. He can't be 'the' Conner of the future because the ages just don't work out (given the age of the David and Kyle when he sees them).

I also have a fearful suspicion that they going in the 'there is no John Conner' direction i.e. in the future war, Conner has been long dead and the human side of the war is actually being run by Cameron/Weaver/Skynet (GASP) which MIGHT have been cool, but Terminator has become such a classic man vs machine story. I don't know if I'm spiritually prepared for that level of dystopian insanity (that the man vs machine conflict is really, in some sense, a machine vs machine conflict with some people in the middle). It might be intense, but I'd prefer a more 'Conner becomes cold and calculating, more like a machine than person '-type direction.

Also... if they can build time machines to the future, why did Kyle Reese specifically say that he couldn't go home? The time machine Cameron used in the bank was there when the first movie took place. Now we find that every punk off the street can build a time machine out of parts from home depot... I just don't get it.

Also... who the Hell is John Henry's brother? Evil (or not evil) Skynet twin?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:

Also... iirc, no one knows who he is until he escapes from an internment camp (Century?). Even then, at least to start, the rebels don't trust him because he knows so much about skynet.

Only sometime later does he become the straight up leader of the resistance... how that happens is anyone's guess.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:

Also I have no idea who that woman is, maybe Hank will know.

So Chola, the Hispanic woman, is the only surviving member of Carlos's gang. She used to be the lookout. Carlo's is the nephew of Enrique, who's sold the Connors fake IDs in the past, in addition to appearing in T2 and giving the Connors + Arnie weapons before they attacked the Dyson residence.

Also, this episode.....not quite sure what was going on at the end. That is, I saw what was happening, I understood the events that lead to what was happening.....I just have no idea why. what the fuck.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be a long wait for the next season, but I am excited. I think that's exactly what they were going for.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the future to lead the resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: