DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017
 

fnord
Ouch... that hurts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1350

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Why is college anything more than like $5k a year? At the very least, a student should be able to pay for their entire tuition and housing by working something like a half-time job.

Fuck this country.


Because we're not socialists like Europe. Are you a commie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have colleges not charge outrageous fees without the country being socialist. The government subsidizes farmers not to grow corn or to grow too much corn and put corn syrup in literally every product on the market. Let's just shoot the farmers, take that money and their land, and use those resources to make life better for smarter people.

If you love stupid people so much, why don't you marry them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1350

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
You can have colleges not charge outrageous fees without the country being socialist. The government subsidizes farmers not to grow corn or to grow too much corn and put corn syrup in literally every product on the market. Let's just shoot the farmers, take that money and their land, and use those resources to make life better for smarter people.

If you love stupid people so much, why don't you marry them?


Look, farmers are the hardworking men who underpin the greatness of our economy and industry. Let's not deprive them of their livelihood, even though there are approximately 0 farmers still farming in this country...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Look, farmers are the hardworking men who underpin the greatness of our economy and industry. Let's not deprive them of their livelihood, even though there are approximately 0 farmers still farming in this country...


I was talking about their life, not their livelihood.

From the USDA:

Small family farms make up 91 percent of all U.S. farms, and account for 27 percent of all production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Look, farmers are the hardworking men who underpin the greatness of our economy and industry. Let's not deprive them of their livelihood, even though there are approximately 0 farmers still farming in this country...


Seriously, let's deprive them of their livelihood. Farm subsidies in this country are just silly.

Just another problem with this democratic-style republic of ours. If you have enough people doing useless shit (the majority of family farms) who vote (or influence votes), then you have to pander to them.

Regarding the cost of college, it really is getting way out of hand. Its rate of increase far surpasses that of income, GDP, inflation, or anything reasonable.

To be fair, without the crazy costs of college, how is Harvard supposed to afford things like this:



... and that's a cafeteria.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 462

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current system of charging large tuition and then giving large amounts of need-based aid is actually pretty communist.

Also, the US farm subsidies favor large industrial farms and make it hard for family farms to compete. Japan does a much better job of using farm subsidies to keep small family farms alive. (Of course, presumably that's not what the US is trying to do with farm subsidies, so whatever.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is...that cafeteria is already built. The question is, how are they going to afford to build 50 more if they don't charge $100k a year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
The thing is...that cafeteria is already built. The question is, how are they going to afford to build 50 more if they don't charge $100k a year?


Well, in Harvard's case, you buy up a ton of land in Boston on the claim that you're going to put those $100K tuitions towards building 50 more Annenbergs, then decide that it would be better to just pocket the cash and hold onto the land, preventing anyone else from building there.

All I'm saying is: Harvard - 1, Boston - 0
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
mchicken wrote:
The thing is...that cafeteria is already built. The question is, how are they going to afford to build 50 more if they don't charge $100k a year?


Well, in Harvard's case, you buy up a ton of land in Boston on the claim that you're going to put those $100K tuitions towards building 50 more Annenbergs, then decide that it would be better to just pocket the cash and hold onto the land, preventing anyone else from building there.

All I'm saying is: Harvard - 1, Boston - 0


Hey now, plans are in the works to build stuff out there!

Also for some reason I think Boston people like to refer to the little township things by their names rather than just calling it Boston. So that place is Allston I think.

Edit: Yep:

http://www.allstonconstruction.harvard.edu/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
http://www.allstonconstruction.harvard.edu/


... except that if you read the Globe or the Herald, you see that this is, of the time being, just one big lie.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
mchicken wrote:
http://www.allstonconstruction.harvard.edu/


... except that if you read the Globe or the Herald, you see that this is, of the time being, just one big lie.


Except those papers are absolute garbage, and the Globe will be gone in less than a year.

Not that their info is wrong, just saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1350

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize I'm playing devil's advocate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
You realize I'm playing devil's advocate?


Considering you haven't posted in this thread for like ten years...what?

Also, shouldn't you be starting a farm? My mother can give you some goats, rabbits, and chickens if you want to get started. And calico cats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1350

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:
You realize I'm playing devil's advocate?


Considering you haven't posted in this thread for like ten years...what?

Also, shouldn't you be starting a farm? My mother can give you some goats, rabbits, and chickens if you want to get started. And calico cats.


Apparently goat is the most widely eaten meat, by a large margin. And it's higher in protein than beef and lower in fat than chicken.

So my answer is obviously yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1637

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:
mchicken wrote:
any other college would have forced you to face reality


Not even slightly true. Have you ever met someone who goes to another school?

Perhaps you are thinking of some other realities to which I am not referring.


I work with people at Harvard every single day, so...yes. A kid just dropped out DOOMCom (Dante) style because Harvard destroyed his soul.

What reality are you referring to?


Hey, that's uncalled for.

It was the lack of support from my family that destroyed my soul.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media