is 2017
is 2017

fnord
basement soda
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: basement soda Reply with quote

So, with the goal of becoming more awake, I go to the SH basement to acquire a soda. The machine has the wrong cost posted. Fine, I figure this out after $.50 doesn't work. Then, I finally get the soda and it is HOT. Even though the machine is plugged in and making cooling noises. Lastly, this is what came out of the machine:

Santa? 2008? Should have seen it coming and all... but grr.

Also, fuck the swim test.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: basement soda Reply with quote

epb wrote:

Why? (I agree, just curious).

Also, is that an alien craft or spaceship in the background of that picture?
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: basement soda Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
epb wrote:

Why? (I agree, just curious).

Also, is that an alien craft or spaceship in the background of that picture?

re swim test: eh, mostly because it's embarrassing and a logistical nuisance. I need to dig out a bathing suit, get to the place, figure out where to meet and what stuff to bring and where to leave it safely. And at least with regular tests nobody is watching you solve the problems whilst half naked, ready to fail you if you pause.

I also don't really see the point. If the spirit of the thing is that we don't drown in the Charles, then why are we allowed to do it when we're about to leave MIT? Also, it seems like it's just one of those things they enforce so they can have another quirky fact to advertise about MIT. I'm a good swimmer; can't i just sign something that says I can swim? It would be all the same to them. And everyone says "we're MIT students; we're so great that we should be expected to be able to do something so simple as swimming once we graduate." But there are plenty of simple and potentially useful things they don't test us on before we graduate. It just seems out of scope as something to require to graduate with an academic degree. What if they made everyone learn CPR before graduating instead of PE/swim test? Also out of scope, but it would be so much more beneficial. (And cool.)

There are probably other reasons, but these are some.

And it might be a space ship. It was from a random person's blog, so I don't know. I wish my expired warm soda came with one.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: basement soda Reply with quote

epb wrote:
And it might be a space ship. It was from a random person's blog, so I don't know. I wish my expired warm soda came with one.

I doubt it's expired. Stick that beast in a freezer for 20 minutes, you'll be fine.

Or how about instead of a swim test they feed us food on a regular basis.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story:

I took the swim test during my first week at MIT on the designated freshmen swim test day. There were hundreds of people there so no one cared about you individually. I swam in the slow lane, got out, took the boating exam because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and left. It was fine. You can stop with all your naysaying.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the swim test is just a requirement left over from World War II. Lots of colleges used to require it, but MIT is one of the few schools (~5) that hasn't abandoned it yet.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
True story:

I took the swim test during my first week at MIT on the designated freshmen swim test day. There were hundreds of people there so no one cared about you individually. I swam in the slow lane, got out, took the boating exam because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and left. It was fine. You can stop with all your naysaying.

Keep following the rules.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:
True story:

It seems to be working out for her pretty well...
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:
True story:

You people just didn't like it because it had been four years since you'd gone swimming and you were in actual danger of failing it.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
You people just didn't like it because it had been four years since you'd gone swimming and you were in actual danger of failing it.

That's not even remotely true. I went to that snobby island my family will soon be divorced from and swam every summer, including a month before my freshman year swim test.

The primary reason I didn't take it then was because I didn't even know I was supposed to. Of course, had I known about it, I wouldn't have taken it then anyway.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

That's not even remotely true. I went to that snobby island my family will soon be divorced from and swam every summer, including a month before my freshman year swim test.

The primary reason I didn't take it then was because I didn't even know I was supposed to. Of course, had I known about it, I wouldn't have taken it then anyway.

How could you possibly not know about it? Everyone you meet when you get here tells you to take it. It's even on your degree audit.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

How could you possibly not know about it? Everyone you meet when you get here tells you to take it. It's even on your degree audit.

Ah... I remember that day. I was having a lot of fun not taking it.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:

Flame bait.

I think we need an emoticon for her posts of this nature, so all of them. Can we make a forum bot that just automatically responds when she posts?
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
kallie wrote:

Flame bait.

I think we need an emoticon for her posts of this nature, so all of them. Can we make a forum bot that just automatically responds when she posts?

Look, I went through all the active threads trying to come up with something so that the magic of the forums wouldn't die. I couldn't think of anything...
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hundreds of people is a lot of people. Did you have to share a lane with people? I wonder how big a group there will be when I go. I guess I'll find out in not too long. :(

And are those towels that you exchange a card for at the Z-center for pool use?

Stupid friggin swim test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: