is 2017

fnord
Some sort of protest...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be mistaken about this, but the Tech article made it seem as if the 'leaked report' was the product of a contracted consultant group. If that's the case, doesn't it seem like much of this whole student uprising is really directed at the wrong target?

I guess I understand the transparency issues, but the rest of the angst seems misplaced. The consultants don't make any decisions.

With regards to transparency, I can understand why people care so much. Personally, I care not at all, and I've never heard a convincing argument for why the administration should be transparent.

Yet…i?
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
I could be mistaken about this, but the Tech article made it seem as if the 'leaked report' was the product of a contracted consultant group. If that's the case, doesn't it seem like much of this whole student uprising is really directed at the wrong target?

I guess I understand the transparency issues, but the rest of the angst seems misplaced. The consultants don't make any decisions.

With regards to transparency, I can understand why people care so much. Personally, I care not at all, and I've never heard a convincing argument for why the administration should be transparent.

The leaked report, I believe, is the result of the consultant sending a report to the administration, the administration sending back some changes, and the consultant sending a revised version. One of the objections is that the committee with student representation that supposedly commissioned the report didn't get to see the original report, or the report at all before it was leaked.

I think part of why people are up in arms about dining now is the concept that it's easier to stop something before it's decided on then after. I personally care more about the transparency issues, both because the administration keeps making commitments and then not living up to them, and because presumably if they actually wanted to come up with an optimal plan they wouldn't need secrecy.

Obviously, the people protesting (me included) would like to live in a world where the administration's job is to benefit students.

Also, I like protesting things.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:

Dirty hippie.
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Dirty hippie.

Sounds about right.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
xavid wrote:

Dirty hippie.

qft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: