DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Valentine's Day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Valentine's Day Reply with quote

What a fucking expensive holiday.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberries, $4.
Chocolate, $2.

I'm no math major but is that expensive?
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you dating a Wiccan though? Doesn't a Valentine's Day present for someone like that entail a tree branch and some incense?
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Strawberries, $4.
Chocolate, $2.

I'm no math major but is that expensive?

I actually got my chocolate for $1.50 and my strawberries for $3. Strawberries are actually cheap this time of year in my area, the Strawberry Festival kicks off in two weeks. Plus, I shopped at Walmart for that.

On the other hand:

The flowers were $85, the other chocolates were ~$60, Dinner will be ~$60, candles were around $10. Had to get a new tie for $8, and family planning-related expenses hit around $5, too.

Then there were the gifts which I went cheap and sentimental on, picture frame and picture for about $8, toothbrush for $1 at the dollar store, wallet sized photos for $.50, and this other thing for $10. Gift bag, tissue, and card was probably around $8.

I'm not gonna include the cost of the gas to hand deliver flower and chocolate to her at work and to her house.

As far as being a Wiccan goes, it's true. We really do just exchange tree branches and incense sticks for everything. Sometimes we will gift small rocks.

tl;dr: The more you spend the more you love her.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who spends $85 on flowers unless it's a wedding in which case you're spending like $10,000 on flowers.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the toothbrush for?

lugo wrote:
tl;dr: The more you spend the more you love her.

Women are sexually attracted to money. But not necessarily men with money. Just money.

Last edited by lizakova on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Who spends $85 on flowers unless it's a wedding in which case you're spending like $10,000 on flowers.

Me. I actually got a good deal for the amount I bought. Should have been around $150.

It was a dozen long stemmed roses in a vase plus greens and little white flower things (Not baby breath) and a second bouquet with roses, carnations, and other nonsense... and a single rose which I got at Walmart for $2.50.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be some out-in-the-workforce thing where you have to do all that. Clearly you wanted to, not sure what you're complaining about exactly.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Must be some out-in-the-workforce thing where you have to do all that.

Yeah, if you were still in school, you could have just payed $20 to have an a Capella group to come sing to her in her 18.06 lecture.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Must be some out-in-the-workforce thing where you have to do all that. Clearly you wanted to, not sure what you're complaining about exactly.

I love complaining.

And the toothbrush was to keep in my bathroom for when she slept over. It's an important step.

Edit: $6? Really? Was that it? No card? If it works for you, great, but it really must be some out-in-the-workforce thing because I would get in trouble for that. The money I am spending is probably excessive, agreed.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you would give someone a card to their face. I'm just not a card person, I guess.

It's not important that it was $6, it's important that there were chocolate covered strawberries. If it had been $50 to make them, then so be it.

Why would you get in trouble? I don't like stuff like that.

Edit: If she wasn't spending the entire day including last night at my apartment there probably would have been flowers, but I don't think the logistics would work out with what happened.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I don't see why you would give someone a card to their face. I'm just not a card person, I guess.

It's not important that it was $6, it's important that there were chocolate covered strawberries. If it had been $50 to make them, then so be it.

Why would you get in trouble? I don't like stuff like that.

Edit: If she wasn't spending the entire day including last night at my apartment there probably would have been flowers, but I don't think the logistics would work out with what happened.

My view is this: I'll spend $20 on a whim for a new bottle of wine, or $50 on a whim (much more rarely) for a computer game. $6 is a lunch in the work cafeteria, you know?

Anyways, I agree that the dollar amount isn't what is important. I got her what I wanted to get her, I was complaining because what I wanted to get her wasn't cheaper.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Valentine's Day?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's like every other day.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Aren't you dating a Wiccan though? Doesn't a Valentine's Day present for someone like that entail a tree branch and some incense?

I'm pretty sure real pagans are supposed to be doing something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupercalia

Why aren't you running through the streets naked and striking noble women with thongs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: