is 2017

fnord
Pft...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's just something my sister said awhile back.

The difference is that black people and women can be just as good doctors, but women can't be just as good football players. Sports means more to more men, it's not unfair or unusual that they would be better at coaching it.

But a female coach is the most successful in NCAA women's basketball history, and that's (probably?) the biggest women's sport.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
mchicken wrote:
epb wrote:
kallie wrote:
jaster wrote:
mchicken wrote:
Blue is for boys, pink is for girls. Bears and dogs are for boys, cats and rabbits are for girls.

qft

Seriously. Also, men are just better coaches.

I don't know where she gets her facts from. The only evidence I have is the number of NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB/MLS/anything female head coaches. It's precisely zero. If women were better coaches they'd probably be coaching at least one of those teams. I'm pretty sure she's right, in that men are strictly better at coaching men's professional sports, for a variety of reasons. There's no way a woman would be able to get in the face of a guy worked up from nearly killing someone on the football field and force the guy to back down.

The open question would be who is better at coaching women's teams. I think it will take a single combat battle to the death between Geno Auriemma and Pat Summit to settle that one.

Actually, the disapproval face was directed at all three of you. Though, I think you were being somewhat sarcastic about the blue-is-for-boys-rabbits-are-for-girls thing, Vernon less so, and I think Kallie was mostly serious about the coaching thing.

But seriously, is first hand experience the best litmus test here? I know none of you would dispute that it isn't. Data points, validity, power, bias, yada yada. But even if you want to judge skill or ability based on the number of female coaches... that can be inaccurate too. Look at the number of female doctors, or non-white doctors, especially 50 years ago when the numbers were closer to 0. (And I'm assuming none of you think that white men are superior doctors.... but just in case, here's a preemptive disapproving emoticon: .)

Look, I can see why women could be worse at coaching in practice.... but these sweeping generalizations are problematic, especially if they're based on personal experience or on some kind of assumption that if women were good at X, then more of them would be doing it.

Lastly, this article discusses female coaching and mentions public breast feeding right in the first paragraph. Heh.

I'm a helpless woman. How do you expect me to read all of that?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
I'm a helpless woman. How do you expect me to read all of that?

This Kallie vs. Emily deathmatch is pretty good.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
This Kallie vs. Emily deathmatch is pretty good.

/agree

lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
Sigh

Today I went to volunteer for my brother's kindergarten class. I had to oversee a group of children whose task was to color several pictures of common gardening tools, cut them out, and then glue them on top of two pictures of tool sheds based on whether the tool was long or short.

The boys ran a crayon over the general vicinity of the picture a couple of times, performed an operation that was more ripping than cutting, and then drowned the entire page in Elmer's glue.

The girls meticulously colored each tool, always staying within the lines, cut each one out along the dotted lines, and then used a gluestick to carefully glue each tool into place.

Gender stereotypes are alive and well here in the suburbs.
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn society. Well at least they allowed the girls to participate in the tool making and sorting task instead of, say, having them make lunch and leaving the tool related activities to the boys.

I mean, I think it's likely that there are some innate differences, but I don't think they exist in all (or even close to all) cases, and I still think that boys and girls are socialized to have those kinds of differences. I was at a friend's xmas party and there were some little kids there. At some point the boys were running around wildly and loudly, and they were basically allowed to do so or told to go outside or be a little less raucous. But when the girls did the same thing, they were told to be quiet and sit down and listen to the parents directions. Grr.

In conclusion, I suppose the most appropriate thing would be for me and Kallie to change into bikinis and have a pillow/jello/tickle fight.

11/girl-fight-yes.jpg" border="0" />
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
In conclusion, I suppose the most appropriate thing would be for me and Kallie to change into bikinis and have a pillow/jello/tickle fight.

Correct.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
epb wrote:

Correct.

what?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
lizakova wrote:
epb wrote:

Correct.

what?

Didn't that already happen with Kallie and Liza?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is getting weirder every day.
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
jaster wrote:
lizakova wrote:
epb wrote:

Correct.

what?

Actually, I think so.

jaster wrote:
This place is getting weirder every day.

Look, Liza understood.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:

Yes.

jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I don't know what any of that means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: