DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017
 

fnord
Bartley's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
kallie wrote:
jaster wrote:
Look, I'll be there.


Let's not do this.


It doesn't mean what she thinks it means.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is not selling out nearly enough, apparently.
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1349

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
jaster wrote:
kallie wrote:
jaster wrote:
Look, I'll be there.


Let's not do this.


It doesn't mean what she thinks it means.


I'm pretty sure it meant what I think it means at least once. I am aware that there is another meaning, however, one that began with something I didn't do. I'm sure I'll sort it all out when I analyze the forums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you quote someone, you are emphasizing or referencing what they are saying and then responding to it. In this case, you are emphasizing/referencing that that kid is going to be there. But you seem to think it means that you are saying that you will be there, too. It does not, unless you actually say that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is not selling out nearly enough, apparently.
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1349

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I do the following?



jaster wrote:
Look, I'll be there.


This.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
What if I do the following?



jaster wrote:
Look, I'll be there.


This.


You're still emphasizing the fact that Vernon said he'd be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though... I'll be there.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
kallie wrote:
jaster wrote:
Look, I'll be there.


This.


You're still emphasizing the fact that Vernon said he'd be there.


Hmm, this is getting there... but it's still a bit iffy. I mean, it's on the right track, but Tom's point still remains.

You gotta finesse it.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You quote someone and say "This." to indicate that what they're saying is correct/what you wanted to say, and usually you don't think you could make your point better than what they already did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
You quote someone and say "This." to indicate that what they're saying is correct/what you wanted to say, and usually you don't think you could make your point better than what they already did.


This.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallie is not selling out nearly enough, apparently.
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1349

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
You quote someone and say "This." to indicate that what they're saying is correct/what you wanted to say, and usually you don't think you could make your point better than what they already did.


Yes, so the only question here is whether once I quote Vernon, can the "I'll" refer to me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Yes, so the only question here is whether once I quote Vernon, can the "I'll" refer to me?


I'm gonna have to go with a negatory on this one.

You could try a simpler construction:

Quote:
I'll be there.


Same.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
Quote:
I'll be there.


Same.


This would be correct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does someone want to specify a time on Thursday? Maybe 6ish?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kallie is not selling out nearly enough, apparently.
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1349

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
So, does someone want to specify a time on Thursday? Maybe 6ish?


6:00 is good for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 6pm for leaving for Bartley's?

That's a bold maneuver... as of right now, I'm maybe thinking that you guys can call me on the way back from Bartley's and I'll meet you for super smash.

This is what I'm thinking atm and subject to change... I'll get back to you.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media