is 2017
is 2017

fnord
A project to prove my statussake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: A project to prove my statussake Reply with quote

For my 24.900 final paper, I have proposed to study the curious manner of speech that has developed in DOOMCom. I have already identified some differences between speech in DOOMCom and standard English, mostly having to do with emphasis and its relation to meaning interpretation. What I would like to do now is record some natural DOOMCom speech and attempt to find more examples of cases involving common phrases that have taken on new meaning in the context of the hall.

This would simply involve me and some other people in DOOMCom socializing in traditional DOOMCom ways at different times over the next three weeks. I would record our speech with a tape-recorder and then analyze trivial meaning (below the context of the conversation) later. Obviously I would omit any reference to inflammatory or controversial content, since that won't really be relevant.

What I would like to know is, do I have your support? I should add that I'm really excited about this paper topic and have been for the whole semester, so I'd really appreciate some
DOOMCom Solidarity .
My feelings will be hurt if I'm dismissed out of hand, but I'll promise just about anything if you have concerns about the recording or preferences for the socializing.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what just happened here.

Also, funny story. On some assignment back when I was taking 24.900, I also mentioned DOOMSpeak as an example of local dialects. I'm pretty sure I got a bad grade on that assignment.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Also, funny story. On some assignment back when I was taking 24.900, I also mentioned DOOMSpeak as an example of local dialects. I'm pretty sure I got a bad grade on that assignment.

It turns out my TA is all over this topic and is very interested in hearing my results. He even suggested a further avenue for exploring ambiguity where multiple meanings are present, namely electronic communication. So I plan to scour the forums and the few AIM conversations I've had for variations on "indeed" and so forth.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) At times, I've actually thought at length about this and actually spent a few pages on the topic in a paper I wrote for 24.251 iirc.

2) Star Trek: TNG... season 5, episode 2... one of my favorites (so far as TNG goes), and is relevant.

3) I really can't fathom how you are going to get natural DOOMConversation when everyone realizes that they are being recorded for a paper.

4) I'm going to spend the next 5 minutes trying to find a picture that summarizes my feelings... I shall return.

EDIT

And I'm back... in the last five minutes, a range of emotional reactions to this whole endeavor have played through my mind. I've settled on the following:

xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:

That sewing machine is really at most 3classy, if that.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
1) At times, I've actually thought at length about this and actually spent a few pages on the topic in a paper I wrote for 24.251 iirc.

Interesting if true.

jaster wrote:
3) I really can't fathom how you are going to get natural DOOMConversation when everyone realizes that they are being recorded for a paper.

I'm not anticipating it will be that obvious. Hopefully people will consent to help.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
Interesting if true.

It is true.

kallie wrote:
I'm not anticipating it will be that obvious. Hopefully people will consent to help.

Hmm, unless you've already recorded conversation or plan to have someone else smuggle in a recorder (Tom? Han Solo?), I'm just not seeing how you're going to get natural DOOMConversation.

G'luck though, I support this project.

Really more of a boxturtle.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So really, you're going to come to the conclusion that DOOMConversation is variations on "indeed" and references to various media.

Feel free to steal any of my conversation, but I'm really more of an outsider now I suppose.
≠√3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you don't know is that she secretly bugged DOOMCom months ago and her actual project is to compare how you talk when you know you're being listened to to when you don't.

Alternate ending: the real answer is to just analyze the forums. Vast archives of pure, unadulterated DOOMSpeech.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
Alternate ending: the real answer is to just analyze the forums. Vast archives of pure, unadulterated DOOMSpeech.

There problem, here, is that it's really not the same thing.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
What you don't know is that she secretly bugged DOOMCom months ago and her actual project is to compare how you talk when you know you're being listened to to when you don't.

That's actually exactly what I said.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... wtf is a "statussake"?
≠√3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:

I think it's perfectly clear.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
jaster wrote:

I think it's perfectly clear.

I wouldn't say perfectly..
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously... I got nothingL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: