DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
KOTOR MMO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: KOTOR MMO Reply with quote

So instead of making a sequel that would have been amazing for an extremely successful franchise, they're making a KOTOR MMO.

Fuck. Off.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...

mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can't pirate MMOs. I would definitely play this thing for free for a week.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm personally disappointed, too. MMOs and console RPGs aren't even really the same genre, it's like if Bethesda made Fallout 3 as a racing game.

Why does everyone and their mom think they can make a good MMO these days? The best MMO out (WoW) isn't even that good, really. Seriously, the more I think about this the more annoyed I get.... it's like the last third of KotOR 2 didn't fuck up the series enough so they decided to shit all over it MMO style. No matter how good their story is in the MMO everyone is still going to skip the fucking quest text so they can go collect ten more Vorakkian Space Bear asses faster.

lorelol

Fuck.

Edit: In other news, Matthew Woodring Stover says he has been hired to write an "unnamed game tie-in." Could it be...?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to reconsider that statement about WoW. I don't know how much you think good expansions are necessary for a good MMORPG, but the original release was spectacular.

My question is this: is a failing MMORPG like Age of Conan more profitable than a solid console release like KoToR 3 would be (assuming KoToR 2 or 1 like quality)? Isn't a MMORPG comparatively hard to make and release? I don't get it...
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW is missing a lot of things that I would like it to have. I preferred the UO style to the EQ style, though. It's still the best MMO out there, I don't disagree.

There's definitely an amount of money to be made making a successful non-WoW MMO. LotRO, CoX, and (probably eventually) WAR are making profit. I'm sure a KotOR MMO will attract a playerbase and make money, even if it only steals SWG's old playerbase. Failing MMOs are a waste of time and money, of course but companies are too blinded with greed at seeing even a fraction of WoW's subscribers that they don't bother to consider the possibility of their MMO being a failure.

Consider this, however: Both DDO and SWG are apparently still making enough money to justify keeping their servers online and producing new content.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Everquest. There are at least two more expansions coming and they're releasing one like...today or something.

An WoW is pretty much just EQ 3 (or 2, but the good 2?) and that's exactly the way I want it.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
So is Everquest. There are at least two more expansions coming and they're releasing one like...today or something.

An WoW is pretty much just EQ 3 (or 2, but the good 2?) and that's exactly the way I want it.

If only EQ had space goats.

Yeah, I'm almost certainly coming back to WoW for WotLK provided I am playing any MMO at that point in time. On the one hand, I have this urge to catch up on single player PC games that I missed now that I have a computer that will run them. On the other hand, there's this hot girl at work who plays WoW.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So WoW?

Takes a long time to install from scratch.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 3.0 patch right now. If the estimate is correct, it will take a total of five hours and forty minutes to install this.

Might help if I plugged into the LAN instead of doing this through wireless, but I'm not really in any hurry to play tonight. Got some Fable to beat yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: