is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Greeks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Greeks Reply with quote

Some Greek guy (from Greece) sent an email to the music library complaining because one of our recordings had a subject heading of "Choral Music - Macedonia."

Apparently Greeks hate Slavs, and hate Macedonia (as presently constituted), and he wants that taken off because it's offensive. He included several paragraphs of historical information:

Yannis Mpoulmpoutzis wrote:

In the end, Macedonia is a land of which more than 50% is in Greece and the rest is in the state that you name Macedonia and in Boularia. The history informs us that the Greeks lived in this land from the ancient years. Alexander the Great was Greek. That's why army of the most of the Greek cities went with him. There are too many other elements that proove that Macedonians where Greeks, but it is not the subject og this message. The Slavs who live now in this country descended from north during the Byzantine Empire. The name "Republic of Macedonia" was given to this land when Yugoslavia was an association of many countries as a characteristic of this country among the others. Now, Greece tries to avoid a name with the word "Macedonia" for this state. So, please replace the word Macedonia in the index of AWM 15018, because it causes many reactions.

To be fair, the man invoked Alexander the Great. Maybe I should just do what he says.

The whole thing does seem odd though. It's like some asshole redneck writing in saying we should take the subject heading "Jazz Music" off of recordings because he hates black people.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how widespread this really is... I'm going to ask my 17.869 professor... she's very Greek.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
I wonder how widespread this really is... I'm going to ask my 17.869 professor... she's very Greek.

I'd love to know the results. I bet it's extremely widespread.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I could ask around town, seeing as I live in the greekest part of the world outside of Greece. Swear to god.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some genetic report came out recently saying that Macedonians were actually descended from the Ancient Macedonians, and they weren't just Slavic invaders, though they were heavily slavicized. Greece is apparenty in an uproar.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly in an uproar.

Seriously though, I'll be asking that professor tomorrow after class.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so I asked my professor today.

mchicken wrote:
It's like some asshole redneck writing in saying we should take the subject heading "Jazz Music" off of recordings because he hates black people.

Apparently, it's really not like that at all. The sentiment is indeed a big issue over there in Greece. It seems to be a thing of national pride to claim certain things (like our good friend Alexander the Great, schooled by Aristotle - clearly a Greek) as essentially Greek or Greek simpliciter.

The professor I asked said, "I [the professor] don't have any particular beef in this issue," but she went on the say that there's at least one guy (I think a grad student, so presumably an intelligent person) who feels strongly about the issue (particularly the Alexander the Great part).

She also said that the issue was inherently muddy because issues of cultural/geographic/ethnic identity are not so clearly correlated.

The more you know...

Greek? Macedonian? You decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: