DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Hey, guess what.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Hey, guess what. Reply with quote

Looks like it's time to start investigating a return to MIT's hallowed halls as an undergrad.

I know you people don't believe in this sort of thing, but I had a dream last night that told me it was time.

The only thing I've managed to find out about this process is a blog by some thirty year-old guy who is returning to MIT after dropping out his freshman year... so apparently, it is possible.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is intense.

I know it sounds crazy (coming back after all that time), but it really is doable. It happens, and I think that it can make a lot of sense. If you can handle putting other things on hold and going back to school for a few years, I think that it's generally well worth it. I know a guy who took a few years off and then came back to finish undergrad... by all accounts it's going well.

I support it. That means it's gotta be right.

...also, since these haven't be used in a while... an opening gambit:

Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem will be paying for my car and car insurance, plus getting some loans.

Well, that and convincing them to take me back. For all I know they won't want me until I can pay off the bills I owed them before which some outside collector is now trying to collect.

lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, guess what. Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
The only thing I've managed to find out about this process is a blog by some thirty year-old guy who is returning to MIT after dropping out his freshman year... so apparently, it is possible.

There was a guy like that in my 7.014 class. Either it's the same guy, or MIT is seeing a lot of thirty year-old guys who dropped out as freshmen coming back.

lugo wrote:
The main problem will be paying for my car and car insurance, plus getting some loans.

Are you really going to need a car while you're here? You could still live on campus, I think.

jaster wrote:
I support it. That means it's gotta be right.

qft.

So is this grand plan set for the upcoming '08-'09 school year or for some later year, when practically all of DOOMCom graduates and the only ones left are you and Hank?
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that would be freaking awesome. Dante owns bitches.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Man, that would be freaking awesome. Dante owns bitches.

Dante does own bitches. Current appraisal of the situation is not looking good before fall 2009, but I haven't spoken to anyone so we will see.

Liza: The problem with the car is I bought a car and I have to pay it off no matter what.... can't just take it back, I'm still paying off the interest on the loan, plus it lost a ton of value the second I drove it off the lot. I'm pretty much stuck with it until I pay it off or trade it in for something else I will also have to pay off. It's possible I can own it but not drive it and therefore not insure it, I suppose, but I would need to double-check the legality of that.

Edit: My current goal is to find out exactly what reason MIT has down for my departure. I'm pretty sure it's not grades, but it might have been mental health. Or money. Both?

Last edited by lugo on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get the free tuition for poor people (under 75k household income) thing they came up with right after I graduated (fuck you MIT)?
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Do you get the free tuition for poor people (under 75k household income) thing they came up with right after I graduated (fuck you MIT)?

I don't believe so, but we'll see. Think my dad's income is factored in and he makes $45kish, mom makes $35kish. Dad might even make more.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
mchicken wrote:

I don't believe so, but we'll see. Think my dad's income is factored in and he makes $45kish, mom makes $35kish. Dad might even make more.

Ahh, didn't realize it necessarily worked like that. I think my final year and a half since my mother got fired and they don't count my stepfather(?) I would have been under.
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lugo wrote:
mchicken wrote:

Ahh, didn't realize it necessarily worked like that. I think my final year and a half since my mother got fired and they don't count my stepfather(?) I would have been under.

Yeah, not totally sure, but I think there's some policy wherein as long as your parents are alive, their incomes are factored into your financial aid package, regardless of your age or anything else. So you can't just legally divorce your parents and then get more financial aid.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would divorce the hell out of my parents if it were allowed. Oh well.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
I would divorce the hell out of my parents if it were allowed. Oh well.

Happy Father's Day, am I right?
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I called that guy today and he told me I needed to go back to college because I wasn't making enough money.

Little did he know I was one step ahead of him. Still haven't told him I'm planning on going back, need to get further along this path before I alert nonessential personal.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is DOOMCom moving out of Senior House and renting one of those huge multi-bedroom buildings that the frats and other off-campus living groups have?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
So when is DOOMCom moving out of Senior House and renting one of those huge multi-bedroom buildings that the frats and other off-campus living groups have?

Xavid already did?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: