DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Sci-Fi Show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Sci-Fi Show Reply with quote

So, if I wanted to watch one of these sci-fi shows I haven't watched, which one should it be? From what I understand my options are SG1, Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica, unless there's something else I haven't seen that's good. Any thoughts on which would be the best to start with? I don't know much about them other than that the first episode of SG1 makes me want to die.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica > SG1 > Atlantis.

Eureka is also fairly good, don't know if you've seen that one.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankr wrote:
Battlestar Galactica > SG1 > Atlantis.

Eureka is also fairly good, don't know if you've seen that one.

QFT... I don't know about Eureka... it looks like crap, but I've seen almost none of it so maybe it gets better.

Yes... BSG is the way to go imo.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't suck, does it? Like, Voyager is terrible but people like it. This isn't the same thing as that?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSG is, in large part, a very well done show. Contrast with Voyager or even Lost imo... popular shows which I think aren't particularly well done in the storytelling aspect.

knocks against BSG to consider:
-sound in space scenes... some people think it's lame, doesn't make much difference to me
-space opera... the show is a space opera (sometimes more so than others)... character development and the infamous love quadrangle (now called the love polygon)
-the AWFUL Jimi Hendrix cover in the season 3 finale... great song, terrible incarcation

Seriously though, the story is compelling... things start building on day one... the story progresses at a good clip (the first half of season three is questionable, but still good), some of the space combat scenes are spectacular (they really put some thought into some of the 'realities' of space combat)... I'd say go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: