DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
APA Eastern Division 104th Annual Meeting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: APA Eastern Division 104th Annual Meeting Reply with quote

Preliminary Findings:
-The density of philosophy is so high, I worry that the world along with an untold number of objects, properties, conjectures, etc which may or may not exist (for certain values of 'exist') are in great danger of imploding.
-In my experience, academics are some of the nicest and coolest people around... except when talking to other people in their field about their field. The various symposiums, colloquium, etc have been amazing... honestly, thought on a level for which I was actually not prepared. Similarly, I didn't realize how mean, angry, and vicious these people could be towards other peoples' ideas. They argue, they raise voices, they break people down. I've seen episodes of UFC that weren't so hard to watch.
-I've seen some big names; people who have written my textbooks and the like. I was having a short chat with an old professor after a session, and only at the end did I ready his name card and realize that he was Hilary Putnam. That is to say, since this name probably doesn't mean much to you, that he made major moves with a few papers regarding meaning and semantic externalism. I've come across his works in at least three different classes and it's easily in my top 5 favorite works of philosophy. I'm not the sort to be star-struck... but that was damn cool.

That's all I got for now. This whole guy wraps up on Sunday and it's back to DOOMCom that night for me.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I'd rather be at some library or math conference than suffering through this nonsense. And I have to do it until Wednesday.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be back at school tomorrow night. The thing is, my laptop (which I have with me in Baltimore) refuses to connect to WoW so I've gone without... and the tragedy of it all... I don't think I camped in a city or inn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Raid and Dungeon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: