DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
People of Walmart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: People of Walmart Reply with quote

http://peopleofwalmart.com/

It's funny because it's so true.

jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've heard people talking about that site, around the department here.

You're all terrible people for visiting that site.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more that those people are terrible people both for visiting Walmart and for being those people.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
I think it's more that those people are terrible people both for visiting Walmart and for being those people.

I don't even know where to begin... wait, yes I do: Walmart sells goods at prices so low as to have the tendency to lower prices at all retail stores in the vicinity of a Walmart, possibly including the stores you choose to patronize. As to your second point, not everyone can be... you.

epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices aren't actually lower when you figure in that you, as a taxpayer, are paying a considerable amount to provide medicaid, CHIP, and other public assistance to Walmart's employees and their families. Helping to make this happen is genius on Walmart's part, really.

I guess that as long as I'm helping to support Walmart's employees, I might as well take advantage of their low prices to make up for it, though.

Except Walmart makes a lot of political contributions to republicans, which I don't like. And they refused to carry John Stewart's book. And apparently they don't stock Maxim (or playboy), but they do stock Cosmo. And they allow their employees to refuse to sell the morning after pill to customers. Their prices might be lower than at other stores, but they're bastards.

Also, in contrast to the 'people of walmart' photo, there's this, which is kind of funny, imo:

mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they lower prices by several full percentage points on food and other goods in your town even if you don't shop at Wal-mart, and whatever insignificant tax increase for that stuff you listed doesn't come within an order of magnitude of that portion of your income. Also they really lower prices for poor people (since they spend more on food, comparatively) which is incredibly good, and if that costs you 1/100 of a cent increase in taxes to benefit Wal-mart employees then that's more effective than being taxed that to give the same direct benefit to poor people through welfare, etc.

Wal-mart is good. Fat people are fat. And people like making fun of the poor and the stupid because they are laughable at times. Other times they are very sad, like when they can't buy a salad at Shaw's with food stamps and their wife-beating husband makes them spend their last $10 on it while verbally abusing her in front of the employees and other customers.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
The prices aren't actually lower when you figure in that you, as a taxpayer, are paying a considerable amount to provide medicaid, CHIP, and other public assistance to Walmart's employees and their families. Helping to make this happen is genius on Walmart's part, really.

That's not possible. Government healthcare and handouts are going to be lower cost than equivalent private compensation. This, combined with the inferior products and international slave labor that Walmart uses, guarantees that they have prices that are actually lower.

Paying your employees very little isn't particularly clever, merely uncaring.
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's true; it does seem like the proportion of any walmart shopper's taxes that goes toward government assistance for walmart employees has got to be small compared to the amount of money saved by shopping at walmart. I'm curious about the numbers now...
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://econ-www.mit.edu/files/1036
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
http://econ-www.mit.edu/files/1036

Good call, imo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: