is 2017
is 2017

fnord
KOTOR I/II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: KOTOR I/II Reply with quote

So, the Gamestop near my apartment is selling these beasts as a pair, on the cheap. I'm planing on picking them up when the place opens in a couple hours.

I think the real question (considering I'm just going to wing the stat allocations and the like as I go) is this: light or dark? I remember the dark side responses being fairly silly from when the game was played in DOOMCom... something on the order of "Want to help me mop up?" to which the dark side response is "How about I help you die!"

Assuming I can get over that... does it actually make any sort of story difference? If so, is one story line better than the other?
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really make much of a difference, unfortunately, story-wise.

In KOTOR 2 whether you are dark or light side determines which companion you get out of a pair of bounty hunters. If you go light you get one who can be trained as a jedi, assuming you convince them to like you enough.

Also in KOTOR 2 your sex determines another companion. Male characters get a female echani who can get jedified, female characters get some republic scrub who can become a jedi but is still a scrub.

KOTOR 2 has more light/dark decision points in the main plot but I don't think they have a real effect on how the game turns out. It's mostly you standard RPG fare where you an change your mind at the moment of truth if you want to. I'm pretty sure the canonical ending for KOTOR 1 assumes a light side male, KOTOR 2 a light side female.

As far as 2 goes, if you can stand Kreia you should bring her with you as often as possible. The plot is poorly explained in a lot of places and she is the key to understanding a lot of it, especially since the ending was very rushed and the denouement is pretty crappy/nonexistent. KOTOR 2 is unique in my experience with RPGs in that characters will frequently say things which aren't true either as lies or misunderstanding without the game making a big deal about it and explaining it to you later on.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a party.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/sigh... this is going to be tough. After persuading a woman to tell you her problems, you find she has a bounty on her head, to which you can respond, 'Let me talk to the guy placing the bounty,' or ,'I think I'll collect that bounty right now!'

It's going to be hard not to select the silly dark side responses.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pull a Jacen.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
/sigh... this is going to be tough. After persuading a woman to tell you her problems, you find she has a bounty on her head, to which you can respond, 'Let me talk to the guy placing the bounty,' or ,'I think I'll collect that bounty right now!'

It's going to be hard not to select the silly dark side responses.

It really, really is, especially when you get to force persuade people with such gems as "Give me all of your money and then jump into that pit."
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
It really, really is, especially when you get to force persuade people with such gems as "Give me all of your money and then jump into that pit."

I remember that one.

Classic.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I built my character fairly poorly... but I just don't care enough to do anything about it.

Also, Bastila is a total bitch.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
I think I built my character fairly poorly...

It couldn't possibly matter less.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's really not a hard game. Just go for Improved Critical and call it a day, maybe dual-wield if you feel like it. The game is kinda boring until you get your Jedi on. And Bastila sucks.

The only place your build kinda matters is skills, I guess, because if you want a full compliment of them and don't take em yourself you have to bring companions who can use them.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more update: I started a new game to see what it was like starting as a soldier, and I saved right over my main game (I had just gotten to Dantooine). I really wasn't paying attention.

Malak is really coming across as a very poor man's Darth Vader.

I guess it's time to hit New Game.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The villains in KOTOR 2 are cooler, if underdeveloped. But damn, that sucks, Tarsis is easily the worst part of the game.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Darth Bandon should have been named Darth McWeakSauce. This guy went down in about 8 seconds. If Darth Malak is a poor man's Vader, Darth Bandon is a poor man's soccer mom.
  • HK-47 is fairly funny.
  • Jolee Bindo is hilarious, and jedi consulars are awesome.
  • I'm pretty sure that woman on Dantooine was having sex with that robot.
  • It is very hard, when being tortured on the Leviathan for the location of the jedi enclave, not to respond: "Alderaan, it's on Alderaan." (It is, in fact, on Dantooine)

Such an Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally told them it was on Alderaan. And I vaguely remember Jole being cool, but I think I got him pretty late in my playthrough. HK-47, while funny, never really spent any time in my group. He wasn't a jedi.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Revan... did not see that coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: