fnord
Ghost town
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
I needed to find something to do for several hours tomorrow, so I thought, "Why not?" I am hoping it will come together if I get further into the game.

Just make sure to use the fast-forward button on your emulator, and you'll beat it in that time.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
awerbos wrote:
It's actually not that great a game. It's just that for some people around our age, it had a good chance of being the first good game we played.

It really is quite a good game.

How so? Straightforward anime plot? Ordinary mechanics? Moderate variety of secrets?
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characters are fantastic, the plot is good, the mechanics are fine and certainly better than a lot of other games mechanics. You have to start over in the middle, that's always good. Secrets I don't care for even a little bit.

I don't exactly know what you think is better. There's a handful of better SNES RPGs. So it's in the top...seven? of its day. There's nothing wrong with that.

What a great system.

Also you can boil any game down to a list of complaints like that, but that's not an accurate portrait of it. It's all relative.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Characters are fantastic, the plot is good, the mechanics are fine and certainly better than a lot of other games mechanics. You have to start over in the middle, that's always good. Secrets I don't care for even a little bit.

Characters? I mean, they have interesting backgrounds, but they never really evolve or communicate. And their motivations seem downright bizarre at times (The whole thing with General Leo? How fucked up was that?).

mchicken wrote:
I don't exactly know what you think is better. There's a handful of better SNES RPGs. So it's in the top...seven? of its day. There's nothing wrong with that.

I was speaking in absolute terms, not relative ones.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is limited. Do you want a novel written from the perspective of each of the characters released with the game itself? Most games from that era don't have a ton of backstory...have you played Metroid? Crazy super-suited female bounty hunter. Aliens. Go.

That's why things have to be considered relative to their generation. The game didn't have 10 minute long movie-studio quality cut-scenes and all that. I think that given what they had to work with they produced a quality product.

Everyone on these forums just loves to kill stuff undeservedly (myself included). The game is good. Can't we all just bash Voyager?

I didn't say it's the greatest game in the history of the world.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they had chances to do such things. They just came out awkward and inhuman. Every piece of personal dialogue (and that's at least a third) could be swapped between almost any of them.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an excellent counterexample: see Final Fantasy VII. I think I remember crying when the ship made it into space. Because we'd been following Cid's plotline for a long time. Because I cared about it.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different. Era.

The burned down Cyan's castle and he was rushing from room to room looking for his dead family. I don't know what more you want.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the arts of writing and characterization developed, unbeknownst to me, between 1994 and 1997?

I guess that explains the release of the first Wheel of Time book in 1990...
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Tetris because Alexey Pajitnov didn't write a good enough back-story for the right-hand L block.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason I didn't criticize Super Metroid (which is an excellent game, having just re-beaten it a week or so ago). I expect different things from different game styles. Metroid is an action game. You twitch and explore, that's what's fun. But an RPG should have a little more emphasis on characters.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awerbos wrote:
Were the arts of writing and characterization developed, unbeknownst to me, between 1994 and 1997?

I guess that explains the release of the first Wheel of Time book in 1990...

I also didn't say that Final Fantasy VI is better than Final Fantasy VII, nor did I say its characters are more fully developed. Obviously they are not. If I was going to play a game today I would probably play FFVII, of the two. Maybe they didn't fully flesh out Gau's motivations for all of his actions but that doesn't make the game bad. It doesn't even make the game middling. The game is good. 7/10? With FFVII a 9/10?
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those numbers seem fair.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awerbos wrote:
There's a reason I didn't criticize Super Metroid (which is an excellent game, having just re-beaten it a week or so ago). I expect different things from different game styles. Metroid is an action game. You twitch and explore, that's what's fun. But an RPG should have a little more emphasis on characters.

FFVI has plenty of emphasis on characters to move it along. It's not just about characters. It's about the whole package.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Can't we all just bash Voyager?

I really think DOOMCom is about a decade too late there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: