DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
The Grateful Dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: The Grateful Dead Reply with quote

I bought their "Best Of" album today for $8. I'll be honest: It's pretty crappy. There's a good song or two (Friend of the Devil, for instance) but it's mostly bad.

I feel like all the hippies I've ever known have lied to me.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's about the performances, not the albums. I have the album from which that song came from, American Beauty. I wouldn't want to listen to more than that.

I think you have to be on drugs to like it enough to follow them around the country.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. The thing is, I also (re)purchased Dark Side of the Moon while I was out. I guess I consider them to both be the same type of hippie/stoner music, but the juxtaposition between the two albums is incredible.

I feel like I'd need some weed to appreciate the Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is completely incredible sober.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wall, however, you need drugs for.

Dark Side is just a fantastic album. The Dead never produced something like that because they are not as good as Pink Floyd.

Really you should just be listening to Led Zeppelin and driving around in a convertible and beating the shit out of people.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
The Wall, however, you need drugs for.

Dark Side is just a fantastic album. The Dead never produced something like that because they are not as good as Pink Floyd.

Really you should just be listening to Led Zeppelin and driving around in a convertible and beating the shit out of people.

I guess that's the realization for today: The Grateful Dead really jsut aren't good enough to be timeless.

One of these days I aspire to be Brock. There was a $20, two CD and one DVD Zeppelin set that I was looking at.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
I guess that's the realization for today: The Grateful Dead really jsut aren't good enough to be timeless.

One of these days I aspire to be Brock. There was a $20, two CD and one DVD Zeppelin set that I was looking at.

Mothership? It certainly has everything you would need on it.

The Dead are more important for their influence on music rather than the quality of their records. Some very good bands have not managed to produce a quality album. That will be especially true of today's musicians, since albums don't even matter anymore.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mothership. Looked good, but it was $20 as opposed to $16 total for the two albums I got.

The quality of the album is less important than the quality of the songs. What I'm listening to isn't even a real album, being a best of and all. One-for-one I'd say Pink Floyd's songs are better without hesitation.

How would you describe the Dead's influence on music? All I've got is a bunch of hippies (And I mean that in the most literal sense possible, this isn't derogatory) telling me that the Dead are awesome and really mellowed them out. I don't think I have nearly enough meta-appreciation of the music of the time to want to listen to a band for its influence on the scene.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure they created the whole "jam bands" thing. So Phish, Dave Matthews, etc. And they certainly have more memorable and listenable songs than the Grateful Dead. Oh, and Blind Melon, which is one of the best bands of the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmVn6b7DdpA

Now that is a good song, and better than everything the Dead produced.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I can certainly hear the lineage. Also, I remember seeing this video. Good stuff.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
Alright, I can certainly hear the lineage. Also, I remember seeing this video. Good stuff.

And of course the guy killed himself with drugs after producing a couple albums. Cobain 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People need to stop doing that.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
People need to stop doing that.

It's already done. Celebrities really don't die like that anymore.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonham#Death

(Also, I read that section of that article yesterday and it just said 4 quadruple vodkas, now it has been edited to have a comment about imperial quarts and exact ounces....odd)

Last edited by mchicken on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and as for jam bands, one of my personal favorites, Dispatch:

Such an Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some more time with the Dead. I can say with confidence now that I like about half of the songs on the CD. Definitely better than when I first got it, at least. The songs they have which are about more than drugs are pretty good, for the most part. I really just don't have the context to enjoy the rest of their songs which are solely about drugs.

It seems like 80% of their songs are about drugs, though sometimes they are about drugs and something else, which I can handle.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their songs certainly aren't "catchy." They have good lyrics.

I don't know which "Best Of" you have...I do like a good Box of Rain, if that's on there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: