DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017
 

fnord
This is why we can't have nice things
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: This is why we can't have nice things Reply with quote

Josh Gordonson wrote:
Lots of free orange juice in the fridge on the 4th HNC. Sourced from a dumpster, but oj doesn't go bad, does it?

you're welcome!

Tiff&Muff


I had always thought that the pastries Sari & Co. would pilfer from the dumpster behind Au Bon Pain was the most disgusting thing you could do, but apparently Senior House scrubs have now moved on to liquid trash. Why would he think that something that always needs to be refrigerated doesn't go bad? It's not even like ketchup or regular juices where it only needs to be refrigerated once it's been opened. Orange juice always needs to be refrigerated.

I'm bringing this guy back out:

I hate Senior House
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's.... fun.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kallie is not selling out nearly enough, apparently.
Lifthrasir


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1349

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://freegan.info/?page_id=2

Ride the wave of the new hypocrisy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is being freegan cool if you die from old orange juice?
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
http://freegan.info/?page_id=2


Freegan: A whole new way of being a total asshole. Get a job.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"limited participation in the conventional economy" sounds just fine to me.

Being a crazy fucking hippie bum, on the other hand, not so much.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
"limited participation in the conventional economy" sounds just fine to me.


Nope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 2700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
"limited participation in the conventional economy" sounds just fine to me.


This is America: consumption without consumerism is fail.
_________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.
-Children of Dune, attributed to Louis Veuillot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
lugo wrote:
"limited participation in the conventional economy" sounds just fine to me.


This is America: consumption without consumerism is fail.


If Dante hates money and exchanging it for goods and services so much he could always join my brother's cult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to find a way to opt out of most consumerism in my future, but that's neither here nor there. Don't need to hijack another thread to talk about my personal beliefs.

But to sum it up: It's easy to start having a problem with money when you don't really have any of it. To quote Pink Floyd:

"Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that theyre
Giving none away."
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how having little money would lead you to want to not participate in a good thing. I'm not a great author but I like reading books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I don't see how having little money would lead you to want to not participate in a good thing. I'm not a great author but I like reading books.


I don't think that's an accurate metaphor. Try "I'm not a great author but I like writing great books," maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I like having money. I just don't like being a slave to a system that defines me by the amount of money I have. If someone were to give me ten bucks I'd spend the hell out of it just like anybody else.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
I don't think that's an accurate metaphor. Try "I'm not a great author but I like writing great books," maybe.


I disagree. I am a minor player in the activity, mostly a consumer, I will never be a major producer. I think it's less inaccurate than you say.

And I don't even know how to address that second part. Almost none of it is true. Who is defining you about anything, in your day-to-day life? There's no slavery. Not having very much money means you don't have very much stuff, but it's not like someone is following you and rubbing your nose in it 24 hours a day. Life really isn't that bad.

There is no "system." This isn't the Matrix.

Edit: Unless by "system" you mean women, in which case, yeah, it's true and bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 1635

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As minor players in the system, you and I don't really interact with it in a meaningful way. I could boycott a store because of poor customer service, but no one would ever notice, for instance. My role in the system is simply to find the cheapest products that I can purchase to continue living my life in order to continue buying this crap.

It is, of course, inaccurate to imply that the system is the "man" trying to "keep me down" or some shit like that. There's no intelligence inherent to it, it's just how it is.* Regardless, people ARE assigned a worth in their day to day life--our paychecks. The more valuable you are to society/the economy, the more you make. Minimum wage is for people who don't have any value to the economy besides being alive, for instance. If you have more useful knowledge, you get paid more. If you out-compete your coworkers by demonstrating more value, you get a raise instead of them.

Salary isn't exactly a hard measure of value, sure, but you can't disagree that it is a general measure of worth. We price things based on how much they are worth to us, salary is just a price applied to people.

If you can think of a way to live that doesn't involve exchanging goods and services for money than exchanging the money for goods and services, I'd be up to hear it. Otherwise, yeah, I'm pretty much forced to interact with the system and am thus a slave to it. I admit slave is a ridiculously loaded word.

*(As a somewhat animistic magician who believes in egregores and shit like that I could certainly argue for an intelligence inherent in the system, but it'd be a waste of both our time of course since I wouldn't convince anyone else of that.)

Edit: I do, of course, mean women.
_________________
' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album


Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 3835

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People's lives are (and I think should be) worth different amounts. Money isn't the best way to determine that, since idiot legacy kids inherit millions and spend it on nonsense. There's nothing wrong with money or exchanging it for goods and services. It's a fantastic system. It would be better if people's skills could be used where they would be most effective and they could be paid proportionate to their contribution to society. That's the part that is broken.

Oh, and a cup of coffee costing $2 is also broken. Fuck that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media