DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
If you're feeling brave:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always drop a town portal, go fight, die, and run back through the same portal over and over again.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerge from the portal and die instantly though. Melee characters stand almost no chance against the guy, it's insane.

Also it's difficult to tell what equipment is even 'good.'

And I love getting a selection of four yellow broadswords on my assassin from Mephisto. Thanks for nothing.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Cold hireling from Act 3 and hope he can hurt them? I dunno. I'd just try and get together a set of health and fire resist gear, maybe. Or start over.

The Act IV boss, the Lord of Terror himself (I think he's the Lord of Terror, at least, been a while) may very well own the hell out of you.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. And I'm using the cold guy already, he is good. He also dies in .0000000000000000000001 seconds.

I abandoned the barbarian I was using and am now on Mephisto with my assassin. Maybe I just need to try some other type of class that doesn't involve walking up and getting destroyed by stupid fire-breathers.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the assassin traps? I didn't play that class much. Mostly druid, barbarian, and sorceress a bit.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Druid...gross.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got there on the assassin and the thing died just fine. Maybe barbarians are just underpowered. Or an AoE freezing attack is overpowered.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played Oblivion for about 2 minutes longer than it took to get out of the opening dungeon thing.

Is this as open ended and confusing as it seems like it is going to be? Is it just WoW without the people and a slightly tighter plot?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Is this as open ended and confusing as it seems like it is going to be? Is it just WoW without the people and a slightly tighter plot?

Yes and yes.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's going to be pretty confusing until you get the hang of it. My advice? Don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down if things get stupid hard. You can level up wrong and have the enemies scale better than you incredibly easily, which means that after a certain amount of scaling no amount of skill will save you. It's hard enough to level right that I find it completely unfun and download mods to change the leveling to something that makes more sense.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be helpful if you continue playing Oblivion
http://oblivion.wikia.com/wiki/Oblivion_Wiki

But seriously, that leveling system is ass. The system is the same in Morrowind, but Morrowind didn't have scaling like Oblivion does so it was okay.

I have no idea how that system made it through playtesting, it's that bad.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that I prefer less open-endedness in my RPGs
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
All I can say is that I prefer less open-endedness in my RPGs

Yeah......there really needs to be emulation of modern systems on the PC so I could just play some of the crazy new console RPGs. Console is really where it's at.

Can I just follow the main plot and be done with it?

I played some Fallout 3 and liked it. Seems pretty straightforward.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main plot in Oblivion is fine. It has some interesting moments, certainly, but the plot itself is kinda 'meh' if you don't plan on doing anything else. If you want something more fun, try joining the Dark Brotherhood, their guild plot line is pretty cool.

Fallout 3 is incredibly straightforward. Main plot is good (ending is despised by numerous people, but it isn't really THAT bad) and side plots are good, plus it has none of the stupidity of Oblivion's level system. I have heard some of the downloadable content is good too, but I haven't bothered with any of it.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the retail discs before I play any of the DLCs, mainly because I'm too lazy to hook my 360 up to the internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: