DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
If you're feeling brave:
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: If you're feeling brave: Reply with quote

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Daggerfall is now free. Old game, second in the Elder Scrolls series. Had a SHIT LOAD of bugs, but was still fun at the time. Right now I think it would be torturous.

However, the compass works, and if you want an old game it's here.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those games good? Baldur's Gate and Diablo II and Elder Scrolls stuff, and all that?

I've never really played any PC RPGs.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends.

I can definitely recommend Diablo 2. Everyone likes that. Skip Diablo 1, read a story summary if that's the sort of thing you care about. Gameplay is much improved in 2.

Baldur's Gate I and II are shitty. A lot of people love them for some reason, but you have to know D&D to know what is going on, mechanic wise. Even loving D&D, I still think they are shitty. 2 was okay at the time it was released, but it has not aged well. Planescape: Torment is supposed to be the best game of all time (Also D&D, similar game) but I also found it shitty. It just wasn't fun to play, no matter how cool the dialogue was. I'd skip the Neverwinter Nights games as well for all the same reasons.

Elder scrolls 1 is Arena, 2 is Daggerfall, 3 is Morrowind, 4 is Oblivion.
I really liked the Elder Scrolls games, barring Daggerfall. Daggerfall was fun when it came up, but it's just so.... hard and buggy and obtuse. Arena is an interesting little first person rpg hack and slash game. It's a lot easier to play than Daggerfall, but you have to emulate it with Dosbox. Morrowind is my favorite of the series. The color scheme is a bit off, but it's got some really cool environments and plot and politics. Worth playing just for the setting alone, in my opinion. Oblivion was definitely good, but Bethesda added a stupid autolevel mechanic where your enemies always level to the same level you are, so if you level up wrong as the game progresses it gets HARD and shitty. There are mods to download which do away with that. I, personally, really love the series. There are expansion packs for both Morrowind and Oblivion, the ones for Morrowind are VASTLY superior. Really fun.

Fallout 1,2, and now 3 are solid. Try them. 3 is made by Bethesda, so it's sort of Fallout crossed with Oblivion... first person shooter rpgish.

But really, if you don't like Western CRPGs, you just don't like em. If you can get your hands on Fable 1 or 2, those are fun. Much more action and console oriented.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said I didn't like them, simply that I never played them. I played a ton of console as a kid, and I had a Mac so the only computer games I had access to that were good were Ambrosia stuff (Escape Velocity for life!) and Spidersoft.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I never said I didn't like them, simply that I never played them. I played a ton of console as a kid, and I had a Mac so the only computer games I had access to that were good were Ambrosia stuff (Escape Velocity for life!) and Spidersoft.

I meant "you" in a more general sense. The genre just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

You could also try Mass Effect and the KOTOR games, those are on PC.

Sometimes it seems like the defining characteristic of the western CRPG is the sidequest. They go a little crazy with them. It's all sidequests and character building and loot.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played both KOTORs on my infamous X-box.

I like loot and character building, I do not like sidequests.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I played both KOTORs on my infamous X-box.

I like loot and character building, I do not like sidequests.

Go with Mass Effect... there are sidequests, but they are pretty optional and the rest of the game is strong enough to stand up without them.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout 3 > *
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout 3 was fun, but even as a huge Bethesda and Fallout fanboy I can't agree with that. Haven't played any of the DLC for it though, maybe that makes it better.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm liking this Diablo II thing, but here's my question:

Do the controls suck as much as they seem or am I doing it wrong? Say for my assassin...I can't have my normal attack, combo point generator, and finisher all available at the same time? I have to scroll from one skill to another while in the middle of a pack of monsters?
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only have two at a time, but you can hotkey them with the function keys by hovering over a skill in the skill menu and hitting the key. It's the little skill menu you get when you click on the left/right mouse button part, not the level up menu.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know about that, but that is horrible control for a class that needs three skills constantly.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the last bit of Act IV supposed to be hard? I keep dying and I assume it's because my equipment is terrible and I am too low level, but there doesn't really seem to be a way to correct either of those problems. If I kill things in previous areas I get very little experience, and if I kill things in that area I just die.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be pretty ridiculous if your build/equipment isn't that good. In particular, you really want to watch out for those knight things that curse you... Oblivion Knights, maybe? There's a curse called Iron Maiden (Which I THINK looks like a little thin-rayed star, hard to remember) which does something like (no joke) 350% of the damage you do back to you. Also want to check out your elemental resists, not having those is bad in Act IV.

Um... maybe check to see how much of your damage is physical and how much is other elements? And which elements, of course. Some mobs are resistant and this sort of stuff really becomes apparent in Act IV. If you are dealing predominantly Fire, for instance, life probably really sucks in Act IV. You definitely want to be able to do two different types of damage reliably, ESPECIALLY if you play through again on Nightmare or Hell difficulty where enemies get immunities.

Oh. As far as using your normal attack goes, try not to do that ever. Mana leech equipment is really important if you can get it, otherwise just chug potions. That should be helpful.

For better xp and items you can do Mephisto runs. The guy respawns every time you restart the game so you can just use the waypoint closest to him, run down, kill him, and profit.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I am having is pretty much just a mini-boss around the seals you open in Act IV. He's one of those guys that breathes fire that does almost my entire life, but he's super fast and has a pack of 8 guys with him that all do the attack so I just die immediately after opening the seal. I think I need to just warp out and avoid him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: