DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Liberal Activists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Liberal Activists Reply with quote

Apparently liberal activists are invading the liberal activist Supreme Court which is composed of liberal activists, according to anti-liberal activists who like to say the words "liberal activists."

For example, some right wing nazi:

Quote:
"Judge Sotomayor is a liberal judicial activist of the first order who thinks her own personal political agenda is more important that the law as written," said Wendy Long, counsel to the conservative Judicial Confirmation Network.
"She thinks that judges should dictate policy and that one's sex, race and ethnicity ought to affect the decisions one renders from the bench. ... She has an extremely high rate of her decisions being reversed, indicating that she is far more of a liberal activist than even the current liberal activist Supreme Court."

That is a lot of liberal activism.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't like Sotomayor... I think she's a bad pick.

The right wing is going to have a field day, but they'd be saying all the same things regardless of who Obama nominated.

Quote:
Judge Sotomayor is a liberal judicial activist of the first order who thinks her own personal political agenda is more important that the law as written

Good thing you get to say that without providing any evidence.

Quote:
She thinks that judges should dictate policy and that one's sex, race and ethnicity ought to affect the decisions one renders from the bench

No she didn't. She said that those things often do affect the decisions one renders, which is sad but true.

Quote:
She has an extremely high rate of her decisions being reversed, indicating that she is far more of a liberal activist than even the current liberal activist Supreme Court

No, it does not indicate any such thing. Further, other than from the big republican book of nation-harming lies, I don't know where these people get the idea that the current Supreme Court is "liberal" or "activist." I have 5 books on my shelf about the history of the Supreme Court, one of them written by a Justice, and they all indicate that the court has been 'right of center' for the last century. The "liberal activists" are almost always, in reality, better described as moderates or left-leaning moderates who only look so liberal in comparison to the rest of the Court which is quite conservative.

Sigh...

Further, I just don't understand why people keep listening to these republicans and conservatives. Don't people realize that what it is that the republicans say isn't sensitive to the truth? Obama could have picked Reagan for the Court and they'd be calling him a liberal activist. Damnit people... wake the fuck up.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
Frankly, I don't like Sotomayor... I think she's a bad pick.

Because?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politically, I think she's too easily made the poster child for the republican propaganda machine (liberal activist and the like). That tape of her saying that judges sometimes do essentially 'legislate from the bench' (a stupid phrase in my humble opinion) is being play like she said that's what judges ought to do. The distinction is to fine to communicate to the public, and far too fine for the public to figure out on it's own.

As far as a judge is concerned, I think that there were much better options. Given Obama's criteria (criteria I could not disagree with more), I think Jennifer Granholm (governor of Michigan) would have made a much better choice.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criteria being? Woman?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Criteria being? Woman?

That, and his belief that a sense of social context and an understanding of the practical consequences of potential rulings are relevant in determining what rulings a justice should make. Perhaps needless to say, but I could not disagree more.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, interpreting the law on a basis of not-law is probably bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: