is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Harvard vs. MIT vs. Swine Flu
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Harvard vs. MIT vs. Swine Flu Reply with quote

So I got a community email from the Provost (he signed it <name>, M.D., which is a bit pretentious and over the top since it doesn't matter if a Provost is a doctor one tiny bit...is he the last line of defense if all else goes wrong?) and the Health Services guy from Harvard.

They have a task force, and plans, and all that going.

Where's my MIT task force and plan? Should we just duck and cover under a desk? I feel like I will be lost and without guidance once I step off this campus and onto MIT's.

Why is Harvard so much better?
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIT Medical sent all students an email with an attached handout describing the symptoms of the swine flu and how MIT plans to coordinate with Massachusetts should a need occur. They've also put up posters about how you should wash your hands and avoid contact with people in the dorms and around campus.
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, we've had a pandemic response plan for years. Everything is going precisely according to plan.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
Look, we've had a pandemic response plan for years. Everything is going precisely according to plan.

Headless chickens. Apparently some kid at Harvard who had never been anywhere near Mexico or even Mexicans went to their Medical with flu-like symptoms and he got shipped off to Mass. General.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIT has medicine and contracts for medicine for the MIT community (though its allocation is prioritized), food stocked in case the school needs to be locked down, and even a plan to evacuate the campus (which is a huge deal considering how congested things would get if Boston/Cambridge witness a mass exodus).

For things like retrovirals and all that jazz, the priority is something like:
-people who handle animals
-people who handle equipment that cannot be left unattended
-faculty/on-campus students
-other staff
-random hobos
-off-campus students

The interesting part about all this is that none of it involves the rest of Cambridge. For instance, in the case of a large-scale quarantine (such that food can't easily be shipped into Boston/Cambridge), the board that put MITs flu pandemic plan together decided that MIT's food would not be distributed to the Cambridge community outside MIT.

For the father, nothing.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently someone at MIT was diagnosed with it today. Good luck with that. I am avoiding that place like the literal plague that it is.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
The interesting part about all this is that none of it involves the rest of Cambridge. For instance, in the case of a large-scale quarantine (such that food can't easily be shipped into Boston/Cambridge), the board that put MITs flu pandemic plan together decided that MIT's food would not be distributed to the Cambridge community outside MIT.

As well it shouldn't. I don't want my food going to feed some random dirty hippies from Cambridge.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Kallie?
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Apparently someone at MIT was diagnosed with it today. Good luck with that. I am avoiding that place like the literal plague that it is.

Wait, what? Please elaborate!

I have to admit, this is all extremely exciting. I hate it when anything dies or suffers (even earthworms and murderers subjected to the death penalty), but somehow mass disaster is always entertaining. Too bad it's not the fast zombie virus. I guess there could always be genetic drift....
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
mchicken wrote:

Wait, what? Please elaborate!

I have to admit, this is all extremely exciting. I hate it when anything dies or suffers (even earthworms and murderers subjected to the death penalty), but somehow mass disaster is always entertaining. Too bad it's not the fast zombie virus. I guess there could always be genetic drift....

You say that like there's a chance this isn't a zombie virus.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:
MIT has medicine and contracts for medicine for the MIT community (though its allocation is prioritized), food stocked in case the school needs to be locked down, and even a plan to evacuate the campus (which is a huge deal considering how congested things would get if Boston/Cambridge witness a mass exodus).

For things like retrovirals and all that jazz, the priority is something like:
-people who handle animals
-people who handle equipment that cannot be left unattended
-faculty/on-campus students
-other staff
-random hobos
-off-campus students

For the father, nothing.

I agree with Liza. Did you learn all this in that David Jones class project?

Also, Tom: What are you talking about? Seriously, the hypochondriacs need to know.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably lies but one of my employee's shared an email from his house list that said that somebody (who lives in the house)'s brother who goes to MIT and lives off campus somewhere was hospitalized with this beast.
xavid is surprised at continuity.
≠√3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By which you mean they have lupus.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavid wrote:
By which you mean they have lupus.

I hear it's catching.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard people talking about this in class, so if it's a rumor, it's very well-spread. Like the swine flu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: