is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Harvard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Harvard Reply with quote

Apparently they're canceling bottled water delivery to our library in an effort to cut costs. ($600/year). And someone sent an email complaining about it and saying the staff should all chip in to keep it going.

I have never and will never understand the bottled water phenomenon. We have a system in this country to distribute water, and frankly I think it works pretty well.

Edit: On a related note, the first item in a list of things I am checking to see if we should buy is £1200 and 11 pages long.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had some people over to my house yesterday and they asked for water, I pointed them to the glasses of water and the sink. This caused much consternation.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
When I had some people over to my house yesterday and they asked for water, I pointed them to the glasses of water and the sink. This caused much consternation.

Do you understand why, though? I personally do not. There was no such thing as bottled water when I grew up, I drank water from the sink out of a glass from the cupboard. I really am just not seeing it. Why would you keep a bunch of bottles of water in your house?
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Also, drinking bottled water regularly is terrible for the environment.

Honestly, the reason they don't like doing it is because bottled water tastes better... but if you spend a few days getting used to any given region's tap water it tastes fine. The taste difference really isn't that big.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo wrote:
Pretty much how I feel about it.

Also, drinking bottled water regularly is terrible for the environment.

Honestly, the reason they don't like doing it is because bottled water tastes better... but if you spend a few days getting used to any given region's tap water it tastes fine. The taste difference really isn't that big.

Fuck the environment, are you kidding me? How is it bad...

I personally dislike the taste of most bottled waters.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Fuck the environment, are you kidding me? How is it bad...

I personally dislike the taste of most bottled waters.

It's bad because the bottles end up making a lot of unnecessary waste. Also, packaging water takes a nontrivial amount of energy that doesn't need to be spent, since you really can just drink water from the tap, or get one of those Brita filters if you're concerned about iron or something. I don't understand bottled water either. Why doesn't your library just spend $100 to buy each of its employees a water bottle?
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing mentioned in the email was that she liked the convenience of having both hot and cold water at hand. Even a $100 bottle wouldn't do that. Also, $100 per bottle, what? And there's more than 6 employees...

But, as far as I know, the faucets here also have both hot and cold water.

lizakova wrote:
Also, packaging water takes a nontrivial amount of energy

From reading the description on the back of every bottle of water, I thought pixies simply dipped the bottle in an ice-cold Rocky Mountain or Canadian spring and sealed it with their magic.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not $100 per water bottle. $100 to buy water bottles for everyone. They cost like $5-10.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Not $100 per water bottle. $100 to buy water bottles for everyone. They cost like $5-10.

Maybe they should just have all the employees go to a Career Fair.

Or apply to Michigan (but not Northwestern).
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I was in England, the most popular water that they had everywhere was Highland Springs, an actual bottled spring water from Scotland. It had a list of all the mineral concentrations and pH on the label. It was great and tasted really good.

Nothing here compares. Most of the most popular and least expensive brands are just tap water, in that they just take water and run it through filters, sometimes adding "minerals for taste." It's so silly.

Now I didn't need that Highland Springs water, and if it were available here in the States, I wouldn't be buying it, but it took a month freshman semester of having to spend my own money on water for me to kick the habit.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbs has an anti-bottled water piece on their little consumerism website:

http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit/buyingsmart/price_flash.html

Also, more seriously:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp

Quote:
In fact, about one-fourth of bottled water is actually bottled tap water, according to government and industry estimates (some estimates go as high as 40 percent)

Quote:
Some examples of interesting labels NRDC observed include:

"Spring Water" (with a picture of a lake surrounded by mountains on the label) -- Was actually from an industrial parking lot next to a hazardous waste site.

And there's a good table showing that tap water is strictly more regulated than bottled water in every way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: