DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Ouch... that hurts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvard is a terrible terrible place.

Brown on the other hand, is a very happy place.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously. Nationally, 30% of freshman entering college don't return for their sophomore year, because they were forced to face the reality and couldn't cope with it. At MIT, that number is more like 2%. So in fact, MIT is much better at shielding you from reality than other places.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, MIT is a great place to be.

Granted, I've not attended any other schools, so my information for comparison is both second hand and anecdotal, but I just don't know from whence this idea of MIT as a terrible place to live comes.

I guess we'll see next year, when I'm actually at another college.
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Seriously. Nationally, 30% of freshman entering college don't return for their sophomore year, because they were forced to face the reality and couldn't cope with it. At MIT, that number is more like 2%. So in fact, MIT is much better at shielding you from reality than other places.

You really think it's only 20 kids at MIT each year? Or is that real data. Seems low.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I have friends and acquaintances from high school who are doing math, engineering, and hard science at other schools, and after attempting intellectual conversation with them, it's clear that they know nothing and that they don't know that they know nothing and that they never ever will know that they know nothing. The world to them is sunshine and rainbows because they still think they're smart.
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

You really think it's only 20 kids at MIT each year? Or is that real data. Seems low.

According to collegeboard, MIT has a 98% sophomore retention rate.

Though for all top 10 school the retention rate is about that.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

It seems low because they all live in Senior House...
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what reality it is you're referring to then. I always knew I was smarter than everyone at my high school, but wouldn't be smarter than everyone at MIT. Turns out my expectations were exactly the reality.

Who expected to come to college and be smarter than everyone else, realistically?

And just because you aren't/don't think you're in the top whatever % here, you're still a thousand times smarter than everyone else in this country. Have you seen television? Or the internet? It's a god-forsaken wilderness out there.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

I'm certain that I read that statistic somewhere. MIT's freshmen retention rate is around 98% and they're very proud of that and like to advertise it.

At other schools, a large portion of freshmen are placed in temporary housing (sometimes they even have to live in the student union) for the first couple weeks of term, because enough freshmen drop out of college within the first two weeks, that after a while they are able to provide dorm rooms to all the remaining students.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Have you seen television? Or the internet? It's a god-forsaken wilderness out there.

Yeah, that's really depressing me, too. Turns out I've just had a depressing couple of days and I'm venting on the forums. It feels good.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
mchicken wrote:
Have you seen television? Or the internet? It's a god-forsaken wilderness out there.

Yeah, that's really depressing me, too. Turns out I've just had a depressing couple of days and I'm venting on the forums. It feels good.

Yes, DOOMCom is a place for dancing and loving and turning frowns upside-down.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
At other schools, a large portion of freshmen are placed in temporary housing (sometimes they even have to live in the student union) for the first couple weeks of term, because enough freshmen drop out of college within the first two weeks, that after a while they are able to provide dorm rooms to all the remaining students.

How do you live in a student union?
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
lizakova wrote:

How do you live in a student union?

I don't know, but I have heard of such a thing occurring.
annex ghost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly related: Clark Atlanta University, where my mother teaches, has a shortage of dorms. To make it even worse, they decided to renovate their largest dorm during fall term, so they had pretty much nowhere to house students. A large number of students simply dropped out and enrolled at other colleges that had a place for them to live.

Did I mention that CAU is 30k a year?

Ridiculous.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is college anything more than like $5k a year? At the very least, a student should be able to pay for their entire tuition and housing by working something like a half-time job.

Fuck this country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: