fnord
...huh?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: ...huh? Reply with quote

Campaign for Students wrote:
Hi all,

We are the Campaign for Students. In recent times, there have been many issues that MIT has failed to support students on, and where MIT has brushed aside student opinion. There is almost no transparency in a lot of the decisions that are made by admins and different committees. Some of the more recent issues include

- The state of dining and dining halls at MIT including Simmons, Baker, W1 and Pritchett Dining
- Decisions made regarding W1 such as the *mandatory* dining plan
- The Campaign for Students fundraiser which does not mention dorms
- Residents of MacGregor not being consulted about their common spaces being used as temporary housing
- MIT's apparent stance on hacking

There are a lot of problems that need to be addressed. Whats next?

In order to make ourselves heard, we are having a peaceful "Sit in" in Lobby 7 today, Friday October 17. Bring your psets, bring your lunch, bring your study buddies. There are tshirts! You can come anytime till 5pm, and stay for as little or as long as you like.

The more support we gather, the harder it is for the administration to turn a blind eye to our grievances.

-The Campaign for Students.

PS: If you would like to become more involved with the Campaign, feel free to contact us by emailing campaignforstudents@gmail.com or visit http://campaignforstudents.com

What's all this?
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippie bullshit?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From whence did this even come?

This place is getting weirder every day.
kallie is +2
Lifthrasir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaster wrote:

Not really. The administration does not care about MIT students. Or maybe more precisely, doesn't understand MIT students, which leads to it deciding on things that maybe it believes are arbitrary, but are very important to students.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallie wrote:
jaster wrote:

Not really. The administration does not care about MIT students. Or maybe more precisely, doesn't understand MIT students, which leads to it deciding on things that maybe it believes are arbitrary, but are very important to students.

Yeah but who the fuck cares about W1's mandatory dining plan other than people living in W1. Those aren't issues to be brought up by the general student population.

What in the world does "- The Campaign for Students fundraiser which does not mention dorms " mean? I thought this was sent out BY the Campaign for Students....what does it mean for them to complain about what seems to be their own fundraiser?
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
What in the world does "- The Campaign for Students fundraiser which does not mention dorms " mean? I thought this was sent out BY the Campaign for Students....what does it mean for them to complain about what seems to be their own fundraiser?

So earlier in the semester, the administration had this Campaign for Students event where they tried to make students think that they cared about them or something of that nature (and according to these people, held a fundraiser). These students apparently were not impressed by it and so founded their own, albeit poorly named, Campaign for Students, which is what's staging the sit-in in Lobby 7 today.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why not call it "that other" Campaign for Students...their email just isn't clear enough.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed:

http://tech.mit.edu/V128/N48/protest.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Complaints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: