fnord
Weeds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Look, I have no idea what goes on in a boys' locker room and neither does my mother. For all we know you people are having crazy naked parties there every day, where one of the main events is criticizing the ones who either are or are not circumcised.

Yeah, guys like hanging out with disgusting naked men. No.

Apparently the circumcision rate in the US is 80% or so. So the criticism would seem to go the wrong way in this case if that was actually part of the reasoning for not doing it.
lizakova is shinying up her life.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:
Look, I have no idea what goes on in a boys' locker room and neither does my mother. For all we know you people are having crazy naked parties there every day, where one of the main events is criticizing the ones who either are or are not circumcised.

Yeah, guys like hanging out with disgusting naked men. No.

Apparently the circumcision rate in the US is 80% or so. So the criticism would seem to go the wrong way in this case if that was actually part of the reasoning for not doing it.

When I was doing research on this, the statistic I found said more like 60%, with the rate being higher in the suburbs and lower and urban and rural areas.

The argument for it was that there is a decreased risk of some specific infection. In a society where people shower every day, wear clean clothes, and don't take long treks through desserts, that rate is about 1 in 10,000 to begin with, but does decline significantly if you've had a circumcision.

The argument against it is that it causes the infant pain. No one actually knows if this is true and how much pain is involved because there isn't an accurate way to test how much pain a baby is in since they tend to cry regardless of whether or not they're in pain.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they used some sort of analgesic? Seems like it's no big deal. Wikipedia said it was 80%. The 60% figure was the number of circumcisions performed in hospitals determined by checking for specific procedure codes on charts. It doesn't count religious and other types of circumcisions.

Apparently all the cool kids are doing it?

Also, this has less and less to do with Weeds. I don't think I'm ready for the Olson twins invasion..

She even looks like the drug addict she is in real life.

Last edited by mchicken on Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I thought they used some sort of analgesic? Seems like it's no big deal. Wikipedia said it was 80%.

Actually, analgesic is a very recent addition to the procedure. The old school of thought states that infants don't perceive pain in the same ways that adults do, so analgesic isn't necessary. The newer school of thought says that in fact infants can perceive pain and that circumcisions are a traumatic experience for them which will somehow lead to psychological trauma later on in life.

And if you're very Jewish and decide to have a bris, then I don't think any sort of pain reducers are used at all. Unless you've had three older brothers die of the procedure, in which case you're exempt but will always be considered as slightly less of a Jew.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
Actually, analgesic is a very recent addition to the procedure. The old school of thought states that infants don't perceive pain in the same ways that adults do, so analgesic isn't necessary. The newer school of thought says that in fact infants can perceive pain and that circumcisions are a traumatic experience for them which will somehow lead to psychological trauma later on in life.

I realize it's recent but wasn't your brother born what would be considered 'recently' as well?
hankr is 100% sold to a law firm for the low starting price of $160k/year, his soul, and his free time
annex ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching this Olson premiere episode right now. I'm not impressed.
Kitty Guardian

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

I realize it's recent but wasn't your brother born what would be considered 'recently' as well?

All I'm saying is, for nine months I heard no end to that debate.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:

I believe it.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankr wrote:
I'm watching this Olson premiere episode right now. I'm not impressed.

In her declining (since the age of 1) acting skills, or the episode itself?

Also there's all these pictures in google image search of her flipping the camera off, but when you click on them they're broken links. I'd have posted one here in response if possible.

My stoner friend, after realizing the show had 3 seasons not 2, said season 3 was better than season 2, which was better than season 1. I find the 2 better than 1 to be true. We'll see how the 3 better than 2 works out.

Kevin Nealon is awesome.
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizakova wrote:
mchicken wrote:
lizakova wrote:

Did your dad weigh in on the issue? How did she finally decide? There's also the school of thought wherein you wait and let the kid have it done himself at a hospital (presumably with a local anesthetic) when he's old enough to decide whether he wants it done. Also, I have to wonder about the psychological trauma of having to be taught to...keep it clean etc. by the parents. I have know idea how that even happens. It's kind of an interesting issue, the circumcision.

On the other hand, the presence of Mary-Kate or whichever Olsen she is might constitute a spoiler. (Except that I already knew that she made an appearance in the series.)
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can say that the name of an actress in a tv series counts as a spoiler. Does that mean a movie poster is a spoiler?
epb
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
I don't think you can say that the name of an actress in a tv series counts as a spoiler. Does that mean a movie poster is a spoiler?

Yeah, probably not. But that stuff about fathers dying in front of kids and people fleeing to Mexico is questionable.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epb wrote:
mchicken wrote:

Yeah, probably not. But that stuff about fathers dying in front of kids and people fleeing to Mexico is questionable.

It's all in the first episode. Person fleeing to Mexico is completely useless and unimportant. And the plot of the show (often known before you watch such a thing) is that the man died so the housewife is selling pot to get by.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the 3x12 intro song is in Russian.

This show is so good.

"They say good morning, but what they're really saying is 'I'm not racist.'"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: