DOOMCom Forum Index
is 2017
is 2017

fnord
Portsmouth, NH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Portsmouth, NH Reply with quote

Obama is currently doing his town-hall thing in NH.

This whole thing makes me a little nervous. The ignorant masses have been whipped into a frenzy by the media and conservative interests, and then you've got the president all out there talking about the object of all this insane anger.

I know the Secret Service has these sorts of things on lockdown... but we really need to get through the first presidency held by a minority without an assassination.

Further, the same people who were convinced that they needed to stock up on guns and ammo because Obama would try to take them away (of course, nothing of the sort has happened) are just the people I would worried about in any case.

America:

(I don't know why there is a star on the cat's head)
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the star on its head, why doesn't the beast have the full complement of properly placed stars? Liza's cake had 50 stars, aligned to the best of my ability in the proper flag-like shape and distribution. Why do these people hate America and freedom?

Also that cat is hideous. Why would you dress like that?
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least no one there was openly carrying a gun... oh wait:

Well, at least he wasn't carrying a threatening sign... :

Well really, that's not so bad... so we're fine. The sign could have said something about martyrdom and killing leaders. Wait, damnit, the rest of the quotation:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

To be fair, the guy was just exercising his right to be a total fucking asshole.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he thinks Obama is a patriot and its an homage.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sign is (in the general case) absolutely correct. And there is something seriously wrong when quoting the writing of one of the Founding fathers is considered a bad thing.

However, of all the people to choose to "water the tree of liberty", Obama is way the hell down the list.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awerbos wrote:
And there is something seriously wrong when quoting the writing of one of the Founding fathers is considered a bad thing.

This is silly. While I do agree that we ought to attach some special importance to the concepts and ideologies embraced by the Founding Fathers, a man in an angry crowd with a gun not-so-subtly alluding to killing the properly (so far as such things go) elected President of the United States as if he were King George is, at best, a dick move... no matter how he says it.

Further, if there's one thing that the structure of our republic does well, it is to make it functionally impossible for all the powers of federal government (all the powers there are to be had, essentially) to be subsumed under one man or office.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

General Tagge: But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.
jaster is back in black
Mod Emperor of Dune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fucking unacceptable:

The Arizona Republic wrote:
A man, who decided not to give his name, was walking around the pro-health care reform rally at 3rd and Washington streets, with a pistol on his hip, and an AR-15 (a semi-automatic assault weapon) on a strap over his shoulder.

Further, the 'it's his right,' argument is both silly and hypocritical: it's silly in the sense that no one disputes this, and it's hypocritical when we think back to the mock outrage from the republicans regarding the burning of American flags, and the dire need for an Amendment prohibiting it.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Is the implication that he is armed and wants to revolt against the unjust president trying to reform healthcare? Because, damn, that's one evil thing to do.
awerbos
Mendicant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only hypocritical if you buy into a completely tribalistic mindset.

And plenty of people would dispute that such things are (or should be) his right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: