is 2017

fnord
If you're feeling brave:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchicken is dejected.
Cover of Rush's Seminal Album

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the part I dislike. I want a goddamn experience bar. Being level 1 after hours of playing, and that level number meaning almost nothing just makes me not want to run around. If there was an experience bar with clear advancement at least I'd feel like I was accomplishing something as I ran around.
lugo is unable to remember his password.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, right. You level up by gaining skills, which you might already know. I know Oblivion has a bar in one of the menus that shows how many skillups you have, can't remember if Morrowind does.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you gain skills...sort of. But that doesn't increase your hp or your sp or anything like that. It's completely arbitrary when and if things go up. It's like the WoW professions system when you're trying level on a green pattern, except EVERYTHING is that, including combat. It's awful.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchicken wrote:
Yeah you gain skills...sort of. But that doesn't increase your hp or your sp or anything like that. It's completely arbitrary when and if things go up. It's like the WoW professions system when you're trying level on a green pattern, except EVERYTHING is that, including combat. It's awful.

Nah, each use of a skill gives you a certain percentage of a skill point. Different skills advance at different rates and give less of a percentage as they get higher. When you get to ten and gain a level, your HP go up. Your endurance determines how many HP you get a level. I believe selecting the skill in your skill menu shows you how close it is to leveling.

Your MP is determined by your intelligence and a factor determined by your birthsign and race.

Only the skills you choose at character creation contribute to the ten you need to level. Every skill you improve before you level gives you half a point in attribute modifier per improvement to a maximum of 5. The modifier is to whichever skill governs it. So... I think, in Morrowind, Hand-to-hand and short blade both use speed. I could be wrong. Non-main skills DO count towards ability modifiers, so if you level up medium armor ten points for endurance without it being one of your main skills you'll still get the +5 multiplier.

Like I said, the leveling system is ASS. It isn't so bad in Morrowind when things don't scale to your level as much, though. If you don't go for the +5s in Oblivion or level up with non-combat main skills like alchemy or speechcraft without improving combat skills you are pretty much fucked.
mchicken is dejected.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-combat skills are for people who like sex with men.

So what is the point of completing quests? They reward, basically, nothing. One of the many, many reasons experience and its associated bar is incredibly important.

And why can't this Caius guy put a damn shirt on. It's been like 20 in-game days and he's still standing there like that.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quests are for advancement in a organization, advancement of the plot, or fun. They do have item rewards too, usually, but these aren't balanced in any way. Some are amazing and some are terrible, and they pretty much just come at random.

Caius Cosades isn't wearing a shirt because he is some kind of crazy old drug-addicted secret agent guy who watches you while you sleep in his bed.
Such an Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the Witcher a bit recently and I recommend it if you are still trying Western CRPGs. It's Polish, so you pretty much know what to expect: booze and nihilism.

You get to run around and get in drinking contests and collect cards by having sex with women, which is clearly something we need more of in games. There's also monster hunting and potion making... I decided it was a cool game while collecting herbs to make an oil that, when applied to a sword, let me kill ghouls which would otherwise be mostly invulnerable. It feels like it has hit the complication sweet spot where preparation makes a difference but isn't so time consuming as to make it a game about upgrading your equipment instead of Witchering. The game is pretty well-regarded because there are multiple choices that you have to make with no real easy answers which have noticeable effects later on in the game.

The combat system is kinda crappy early on, but I'm on the second chapter and it is starting to show some much-needed depth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOOMCom Forum Index :: Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: